Start with Rank or Distinction? (Warning: Humblebrag)

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Start with Rank or Distinction? (Warning: Humblebrag)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:03 am

Writing cover letters. I graduated second in my class which was summa cum laude. In my cover letter, should I say "I graduated second in my class from...." Or "I graduated summa cum laude from..." Thoughts?

(Yes, I know this sounds like a humblebrag. Just trying to make my chances the best possible.)

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Start with Rank or Distinction? (Warning: Humblebrag)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 am

I really don't think it matters, especially since both these honors should be on your resume anyway.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:24 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I really don't think it matters, especially since both these honors should be on your resume anyway.

This. I don't really think either of those things are fit for a clerkship cover letter. The judge/clerk will read your resume. Clerkship cover letters should be extremely short and direct (basic info like name, school, term you are applying for, materials enclosed, names of recommenders, and that you are available for interviews whenever). Anything above the basic stuff should be stuff that is not on your resume anywhere--like why you are interested in a certain geographical area or a certian specialty court. Clerkship cover letters should be like 5 sentences (divided into like 3 short paragraphs).

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:19 pm

emciosn wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I really don't think it matters, especially since both these honors should be on your resume anyway.

This. I don't really think either of those things are fit for a clerkship cover letter. The judge/clerk will read your resume. Clerkship cover letters should be extremely short and direct (basic info like name, school, term you are applying for, materials enclosed, names of recommenders, and that you are available for interviews whenever). Anything above the basic stuff should be stuff that is not on your resume anywhere--like why you are interested in a certain geographical area or a certian specialty court. Clerkship cover letters should be like 5 sentences (divided into like 3 short paragraphs).

I agree with both emciosn and A. Nony. My school's OCS recommends a very bare bones cover letter. Basically, what school you are from, year in school, journal, and what term you are applying for. All that should go on your resume.

But if you decide to put it in your cover letter anyways, I would start with the rank, as that has more impact on me at least. (I'd also include the denominator: how many students were in your class.)

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”