Mentioning a Prior Interview w/Judge in Cover Letter

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Mentioning a Prior Interview w/Judge in Cover Letter

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:55 pm

Hey, if I made it through the first cut for a judge last term, completed an interview, but then had to withdraw due to another judge making me an offer (before the first judge had made a decision on my application), is it worth briefly mentioning my interview with the first judge if I apply to her again in a subsequent term? Or does it make it look like I struck out the first time?

legalese_retard

Re: Mentioning a Prior Interview w/Judge in Cover Letter

Postby legalese_retard » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:49 am

Definitely mention the interview and try to bring up some things you talked about with the judge. I would find it very odd if I met someone once before and they did not bring that up in their cover letter. Plus, it would make your cover letter look generic and non-personalized.

You should also point out the issue of timing and how you would have clerked with him/her last year, but had to take the first offer. No additional explanation needed as judges know about the offer/acceptance protocol for clerkships.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”