State appellate clerks: Plans after clerkingship?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

State appellate clerks: Plans after clerkingship?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:06 am

I was hoping some current state appellate clerks could comment on their post-clerkship plans.

From what I understand, state appellate clerks--even though not as heavily recruited as federal clerks--remain pretty competitive when applying to law firms in the state where they clerked.

ZyzzBrah

Re: State appellate clerks: Plans after clerkingship?

Postby ZyzzBrah » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:49 pm

cant speak from personal experience, but have spoke with the prior clerks of the ssc judge Im going to next year. Most had sa's and just went back, but one I spoke with one in particular who didnt have an sa and got into big law in DC (im in a neighboring state).

So from what I've heard of from clerks in my state, you can go to big law--but its difficult because so much of the hiring is done through summer programs

Also what region is the state clerkship, because some states are considered very competitive (i.e. VA)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:53 pm

Am just starting the post-clerkship job hunt. First thing is find a list of firms that don't pay bonuses to SSC's. I know about Quinn, any others?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:35 am

Current SSC clerk.

Had a SA at a V100. Going back to it once I'm done. Honestly, if you can swing this, do it because my goodness it's a load off my mind.

Other SSC clerks that I know have either gone the career clerk route or to a firm within the state. Those that didn't have a SA with a firm are finding that the hiring season is pretty antsy: firms fill up their needed slots after the summer rush, and then laterals are there to plug the holes. A clerk is neither a summer nor practically experienced like a lateral, so they fall into a mushy middle ground. Hiring opportunities appear to open up in late Winter (post holidays)/early Spring. Don't know if that's just my state or what, I'm only hearing it second hand.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:40 am

Current clerk in intermediate appellate. Applying to mid size firms, but I don't leave the bench until August, so most are telling me to follow up later, but at least I'm getting replies and interest rather than the usual no-reply or rejection.

Will also throw out apps for government work too, I know a bunch of appellate clerks that went to the Attorney General. I wouldn't mind working there at at all, I just worry about where I get put. I can't do the minor guardian/parental rights stuff. I just can't.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”