District Court clerkship for less than a year (~9 months)?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Worth it?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 7

Anonymous User

District Court clerkship for less than a year (~9 months)?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:50 pm

Would clerking for a judge for 9 months be worth it? The clerkship is apparently renewable, so I may get the chance to extend it. FWIW, I would have a little over one year of experience in biglaw before starting. I'm doing mostly IP litigation in a big city, but the clerkship would be in a secondary city (and likely wouldn't include a lot of IP cases). I've wanted to clerk for a while because I've thought about applying for BIGFED jobs and I think the experience would be interesting and a nice break from biglaw.

Anonymous User

Re: District Court clerkship for less than a year (~9 months)?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:32 pm

I had a DCt co-clerk who was a similar situation - she clerked for ~ 7 months because the judge had an unexpected opening. It was not renewable because the judge had already hired his clerks for the following term. She was in BigLaw/IP litigation in the same (IP-heavy) district as we clerked, and she returned to the same firm afterwards. Within those parameters, she found it to be a great experience. She enjoyed the change of pace from BigLaw, and she got lots of transferable experience that her firm appreciated when she returned. And while it was not a full term clerkship, I think she's been treated more or less like any other district court clerk, by her employer and others. Since her entire clerkship happened in one calendar year, she does not list the year of the clerkship on her firm bio (since it would just be 20XX, not 20XX-20XX+1).

ClerkAdvisor

Re: District Court clerkship for less than a year (~9 months)?

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a DCt co-clerk who was a similar situation - she clerked for ~ 7 months because the judge had an unexpected opening. It was not renewable because the judge had already hired his clerks for the following term. She was in BigLaw/IP litigation in the same (IP-heavy) district as we clerked, and she returned to the same firm afterwards. Within those parameters, she found it to be a great experience. She enjoyed the change of pace from BigLaw, and she got lots of transferable experience that her firm appreciated when she returned. And while it was not a full term clerkship, I think she's been treated more or less like any other district court clerk, by her employer and others. Since her entire clerkship happened in one calendar year, she does not list the year of the clerkship on her firm bio (since it would just be 20XX, not 20XX-20XX+1).

That's a bit of an odd reason to not list a clerkship. I know of several judges who do January - December clerkships.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”