New Strategy in light of recent OSCAR Update?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

New Strategy in light of recent OSCAR Update?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:09 pm

So, since federal clerkship applications are open to all 2Ls now, what is the best course of action?

My letters of recommendation have not been completed because I had planned on applying right after my third semester grades are in.

Should I start to force the issue and start applying now? I am mainly targeting federal district court clerkships.

Anonymous User

Re: New Strategy in light of recent OSCAR Update?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:02 pm

I'm operating under the assumption that most judges aren't going to move this early simply because the plan is dead.

If I can get my stuff together in time to apply before Thanksgiving, I'll do it, but I'm much more focused on trying to edge my grades up a bit so I can be cleanly into the top-10% in the spring. I wouldn't rush things unless it becomes clear judges are starting to jump.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:20 pm

That was my initial thought as well.

I'm just worried that I would be flirting with disaster if I waited until mid-January (when third semester grades are out) to start applying.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:27 pm

I agree that most judges aren't going to change their hiring schedules based on an announcement about OSCAR - they have plans for how/when they'll hire, and they'll likely just stick with those plans. There's always a risk they they'll look at apps when they come in, see someone they like, and hire right away, but I don't think there will be a widespread, immediate shift to this. I think waiting for 3d semester grades still makes sense.

(Of course, you could call up chambers and ask when the judge would like to see applications, given the change in the plan. You'd probably have to call a LOT of chambers, but it's an option. It'd be even better if schools' CSOs did this...)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:41 pm

As a follow-up note, is there a certain advantage in applying as early as possible?

I've been getting some notifications that district court judges are starting to post openings as well. But on those job postings, it'll say something like, "accepting applications from Nov. X, 2013 to April X, 2014."

I had initially thought to wait until my third semester grades come in before I apply. Would I be SOL if I waited until late-January to apply for these clerkships?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:22 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I agree that most judges aren't going to change their hiring schedules based on an announcement about OSCAR - they have plans for how/when they'll hire, and they'll likely just stick with those plans. There's always a risk they they'll look at apps when they come in, see someone they like, and hire right away, but I don't think there will be a widespread, immediate shift to this. I think waiting for 3d semester grades still makes sense.

(Of course, you could call up chambers and ask when the judge would like to see applications, given the change in the plan. You'd probably have to call a LOT of chambers, but it's an option. It'd be even better if schools' CSOs did this...)

I'm going to predict some form of the plan returns in the future. I imagine when chambers become flooded with calls about when hiring will occur, judges may miss the old days.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”