Protocol after getting advice from a judge Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Protocol after getting advice from a judge

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:58 pm

It turns out that two federal CoA judges are alums of my high school. It's a small private school with a pretty involved alumni community, so I was able to reach out to them through our alumni relations director, and they both agreed to speak with me and offer advice throughout the clerkship application process.

I seem to remember reading here before that it is generally considered poor form to speak with a judge about the process, and then not to apply to said judge. But how far does this go? Both judges are feeders, while I am borderline top-10% at a lower T14, so while I would obviously jump at the opportunity to work with either judge, I would rather save their time and my application slot if I am not going to be remotely competitive. What's the protocol here? Do I just not apply given how far out of their usual range I seem to fall? Do I just ask straight-up whether they would prefer for me to apply? Even if I can't clerk for them, I would still like to maintain a positive relationship with these judges so am looking to avoid any unforced errors here.

Anonymous User

Re: Protocol after getting advice from a judge

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It turns out that two federal CoA judges are alums of my high school. It's a small private school with a pretty involved alumni community, so I was able to reach out to them through our alumni relations director, and they both agreed to speak with me and offer advice throughout the clerkship application process.

I seem to remember reading here before that it is generally considered poor form to speak with a judge about the process, and then not to apply to said judge. But how far does this go? Both judges are feeders, while I am borderline top-10% at a lower T14, so while I would obviously jump at the opportunity to work with either judge, I would rather save their time and my application slot if I am not going to be remotely competitive. What's the protocol here? Do I just not apply given how far out of their usual range I seem to fall? Do I just ask straight-up whether they would prefer for me to apply? Even if I can't clerk for them, I would still like to maintain a positive relationship with these judges so am looking to avoid any unforced errors here.
The judge(s) know you're looking - be honest. Besides, top 10% in lower T14 is still respectable. Work it. Clarence Thomas hires, bro

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”