RIP Law Clerk Hiring Plan

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
forza

RIP Law Clerk Hiring Plan

Postby forza » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:27 am

A. Nony Mouse

Re: RIP Law Clerk Hiring Plan

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:32 am

Welcome to the wild wild west.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:57 pm

The plan has been walking around dead for two years and someone finally had the decency to bury it.

Transfer13

Postby Transfer13 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:32 pm

What does this mean for current 2Ls?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:33 pm

Transfer13 wrote:What does this mean for current 2Ls?

Also very curious.

But according to ATL, it means APPLY APPLY APPLY.

dannynoonan87

Postby dannynoonan87 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:53 am

Thinking I would apply at the end of January, I had given my professors/supervisor the heads up about LOR's last week. Had to email them this morning saying I'm gonna need that LOR way sooner than I had thought...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:30 pm

So is it even worth it now to wait for third semester grades?

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:34 pm

Unless you're gunning for the DC Circuit, some fairly connected people at my school are saying to wait for 3d sem grades still. I might send a few to judges who are openly accepting apps though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Nelson wrote:Unless you're gunning for the DC Circuit, some fairly connected people at my school are saying to wait for 3d sem grades still. I might send a few to judges who are openly accepting apps though.

My main worry is that with my current GPA I'm just not sure whether I am even remotely competitive for federal court clerkships.

I'm really hoping to get a nice boost with my third semester grades, and then apply for fed. clerkships then.

But on the flipside, if I wait too long, and positions are getting filled quickly, then I'm SOL anyways.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Nelson wrote:Unless you're gunning for the DC Circuit, some fairly connected people at my school are saying to wait for 3d sem grades still. I might send a few to judges who are openly accepting apps though.

My main worry is that with my current GPA I'm just not sure whether I am even remotely competitive for federal court clerkships.

I'm really hoping to get a nice boost with my third semester grades, and then apply for fed. clerkships then.

But on the flipside, if I wait too long, and positions are getting filled quickly, then I'm SOL anyways.

Almost all the judges I've seen post for 2015 spots on OSCAR and the ones who I know are hiring are grade sensitive COA judges. Doesn't hurt to apply to 'em, but if you have doubts about your grades than you'll probably not be competitive for them anyway even with a spike in GPA - so don't worry about it. Just get your application in order and be prepared to apply on a dime if the early adopters expand dramatically.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:01 pm

My only hope is that judges will procrastinate the hiring process in the same way that I'm going to procrastinate the applying process.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”