State SC Clerk Taking Questions

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

State SC Clerk Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:25 pm

I've gotten a lot of useful advice over the years from TLS and wanted to pay it forward if anyone's interested. I'm currently clerking for a State SC judge. Won't reveal many specific details about exact clerkship, but willing to answer general questions if people have them.

ZyzzBrah

Re: State SC Clerk Taking Questions

Postby ZyzzBrah » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:37 pm

what are your post-clerkship plans?

I'll be starting my SCC in August of 2014 (midatlantic region)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:48 am

Also interested in your exit plan. I'll be clerking for a Northeast SSC for the 2014-2015 term and have nothing lined up. Perusing these forums to find out when I should re-blanket BigLaw firms with resumes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:56 pm

I'm planning to apply for Northeast SSC. Do any of you have any recommendations or comments on them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm planning to apply for Northeast SSC. Do any of you have any recommendations or comments on them?

I'm anon right above you.

I am familiar with 3-4 of them through either interning there, interviewing, or second-hand knowledge through friends and alumni.

Not sure how far your definition of "Northeast" is, but I'd say NY COA is top, probably followed by the MA SJC and NJ Supreme for competitiveness. A lot of the smaller more regional schools do well in the smaller New England SSCs. States like MA, CT, NY, NJ all have mid-level appellate courts as well (I believe PA might too, not sure) that would be worth a shot.

From everything I know SSC clerks are a much more mixed bunch in terms of pedigree and plans for post-clerkship employment than say Federal clerks (most going into BigLaw, top notch DA's offices, or brand name public interest law).

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:00 pm

Question about your pre-clerking days: when did you apply to State judges? How similar/different was it from the federal process?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:11 pm

Not the OP, but former state clerk. You might want to look at the Vermont guide to state clerkships - Vermont Law School publishes this and it's password-protected, but your CSO will have the password. It's pretty good for all the deadlines and contact info for state clerkships. They seem to split roughly between hiring in spring of 2L, 2L summer, and fall of 3L.

It's different from the federal process in that there's no OSCAR and for most judges you'll submit paper apps (I know Minnesota has an online application, because you submit one application to a central system for all the judges at once, but that's uncommon). I think there's also less confusion about when to apply/who's moving when, because there never has been a hiring plan for states, so judges hire when they want to hire and it doesn't change much from year to year. In most cases, state applications look just like federal ones - CL, resume, writing sample, transcript, LORs - and the info about interviewing with federal judges pretty much applies to state judges as well.

Also, while I know some federal judges care a great deal about local ties, I think more state judges do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:59 pm

How did you view transfer students? It seems pretty black box to me at this point- was number one at old school, and now at a T14 settling into a spot at right above median. With only secondary journal and moot court on the resume, will I still stand out?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”