When to apply?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

When to apply?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:35 pm

None of the FAQs seem to address this question. When do you apply for a clerkship? When I initially investigated this, I determined that you have to wait until 3L because OSCAR won't otherwise accept your application. But I've read some threads on here that suggest 2L applications do happen.

Even the UVA guide doesn't answer this question.

Re: When to apply?

Postby Liam » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:59 pm

Varies dramatically by judge; some have already filled out from this year's 2L class, while others probably won't start taking applications until March or later.

I would get in touch with prospective recommenders who have connections, as well as Career Services, ASAP.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: When to apply?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:23 pm

1) the federal hiring plan used to bar judges from looking at applications from rising 3Ls until Labor Day, but last year that date was moved back until June.

2) some federal judges have always ignored the hiring plan and hired early. On the old plan dates that was usually right after getting 2L spring grades back (roughly); now people are generally applying to these judges right after getting fall 2L grades back (Jan/Feb of 2L).

2a) more and more judges are ignoring the plan. It's almost moribund.

3) if you apply early, you can't go through OSCAR (the hiring web site. It has information about the plan dates and how it works); you have to send paper apps.

4) state judges hire on all kinds of different schedules; check out the Vermont guide to state clerkships (your CSO can give you the password).

5) there's actually a lot of discussion of this here, although kind of diffused (check the various Clerkship Application [year] threads).

6) talk to your CSO/clerkship committee. I know CSOs are generally worthless, but they should have some understanding of this.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”