Should I withdraw from consideration? Advice Needed

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Should I withdraw from consideration? Advice Needed

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:37 am

I have an interview at the end of this week with a State Court of Appeals Judge. I am wondering whether or not I should withdraw from consideration. I have also applied to three State Supreme Court Judges (final court in my state). I had an interview with a fourth 3 weeks ago, but found out I did not get the position, but he said he had mentioned my name as a candidate to the other Judge I applied to. The interview for the other positions would not happen until next month or December. I have good recommenders, including the Dean of my school, so I think a interview is likely. So I am wondering if I should withdraw from the Ct. App. position knowing that I'd rather work for the Supreme Court but also keeping in mind that there are no guarantees I'd get an interview.

Teoeo

Re: Should I withdraw from consideration? Advice Needed

Postby Teoeo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:39 am

NO! I don't comment very often anymore, but withdrawing is a massive error. Keep every option open until you have a job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:44 am

OP here: If I am offered, and accept, do you think I would have to withdraw from State Supreme Court consideration or could I continue on with interviews if they come.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: If I am offered, and accept, do you think I would have to withdraw from State Supreme Court consideration or could I continue on with interviews if they come.

A clerk should chime in on this. I know that there are all these special rules of etiquette when it comes to working for judges. I personally have no idea.
Last edited by Teoeo on Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:35 pm

No. You can't take a position and then trade up unless you have some special arrangement or understanding with the judge (which would come from a close personal relationship). The judges will find out and it will look bad. You could ask for extra time to make a decision if you get an offer (handle it delicately), but that is not a guarantee.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:08 pm

Do NOT revoke until you have an offer in hand. Ever. And once you have an offer, you keep that job and thank your lucky stars that you got an offer, because most people won't.

I saw a judge answer this question when asked by an unfortunate 1L. He was definitely not impressed, and responded "If you have your nose so high in the air that you'd rather do another judge's position over mine, then why the hell did you apply to mine in the first place?"

Depending on the size of your state (and personality), consequences can range from just annoying an appeals judge (not a good idea) to having that appeals judge call up the supreme judge. The supreme judge will then make you explain why you did that to his colleague, and why the hell he should hire you after that. And once that happens, that sort of thing tends to stay on your reputation.

Ironclad Rule: when applying to multiple judges, apply only to ones you would take. Accept immediately, and then withdraw from consideration of all others.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:34 pm

If you consider it an acceptable situation, you could try to turn the lower court clerkship inot a supreme for the following year. So if you do receive an offer, call the other chambers and let them know you'd love to do the following year if that'san option.

That of course depends on your situation, but its an option.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:19 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Ironclad Rule: when applying to multiple judges, apply only to ones you would take. Accept immediately, and then withdraw from consideration of all others.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:11 pm

People are really harsh about this. Sure, you have to be realistic about your chances -- if you're a borderline candidate, then the general advice holds: don't limit your options at all (assuming your top priority is to get a clerkship). But the combination of "it's rude to decline an offer" and "you won't necessarily get an offer from your top-choice judge/location first" means that you sometimes have to do a little strategizing. If you can reasonably assess yourself as a strong candidate, it's not crazy to withdraw from consideration from a judge that isn't one of your top choices. Yes, it's a risk, but you have to play the probabilities. Not withdrawing, given the convention of always accepting offers from judges, is a risk as well.

I feel some authority to say this because I did it. I applied to a bunch of federal judges in different cities, and had a strong preference for City X over the others. Shortly after my interview with a judge in City Y, and having had interviews and prospects of interviews in City X, I decided to call the judge in City Y and withdraw from consideration. A week or two later, I got an offer with a judge in City X. I accepted and am thrilled. If I hadn't withdrawn, I might have gotten an offer from the judge in City Y and felt compelled to accept it. It's not always a matter of "thinking one judge is better than another," but even that is a perfectly rational way to think. We naturally want the job that will give us the best resume boost and is in the best location. What's wrong with strategizing to try to make that happen?

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:33 am

Since you don't have an interview with the state supreme court yet, you should go into your state appellate interview and accept the offer. If you get an interview with the supreme court before your appellate interview, then you can contact the supreme court and ask for an earlier interview.

Personally I think you should not have any reservations about the appellate clerkship. If you are a borderline candidate for a state supreme clerkship, clerking for a state appellate judge will definitely push you over the border if you are interested in clerking for another year. Plus, you would be more competitive for a federal clerkship if you want to expand your experience further.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”