Judges with Strange Start Dates

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Judges with Strange Start Dates

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:10 pm

Hi guys,

so I am registered on OSCAR, and I get those e-mails about new clerkship positions. A lot of them have very strange start/application dates. I have seen some recently for positions opening on November 2013. Or Judges in really sought out districts accepting applications in April 2013 for a position starting in September 2013.

Are these situations when clerks have bailed out, or for some reason beyond their control could not finish the clerkship?
Are the judges sloppy and late with the hiring process?
Is there something I am missing? Why are my clerk gunning friends not applying to these positions?

northwood

Re: Judges with Strange Start Dates

Postby northwood » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi guys,

so I am registered on OSCAR, and I get those e-mails about new clerkship positions. A lot of them have very strange start/application dates. I have seen some recently for positions opening on November 2013. Or Judges in really sought out districts accepting applications in April 2013 for a position starting in September 2013.

Are these situations when clerks have bailed out, or for some reason beyond their control could not finish the clerkship?
Are the judges sloppy and late with the hiring process?
Is there something I am missing? Why are my clerk gunning friends not applying to these positions?

who care for how or why, just go on and apply

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:46 pm

The application dates are generally meaningless. Don't read anything into them.

The start dates can be for a variety of reasons. For example, some judges don't want all their clerks to be new so they have them terms with staggered start dates. Another thing might be that the judge entered the bench at a certain time and has hired term clerks that start around then since then and hasn't conformed his/her timeline to what other judges do. It might be that a prospective clerk bailed. Some judges might just not see the point in hiring so far in advance.

Technically these judges are "late" in the hiring process in the sense that they are hiring after most of their peers, but I don't think that matters. They probably think (or at least I would say) that they get an excessive number of qualified applicants even though they do hire late and see no reason to fight with other judges to hire the "best" applicants. I'd also say that you could easily call the hiring practices of many judges "sloppy." Many of them don't devote a ton of time to it and often decide to start looking at applicants when they have some free time rather than on a set schedule.

As for why your clerk friends aren't gunning for these positions, I don't know. If they already have a clerkship lined up then they probably won't apply. If they don't have something lined up, it's just a lot more of a hassle to apply for positions that trickle in 1 by 1 rather than going full bore at the multitude of judges who hire on plan or at least near the plan dates. They may also have already applied to these judges since they likely did not know in advance when these judges are hiring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:14 pm

Very helpful stuff BK. Thanks...

As to Northwood, I was curious because I was originally planning on applying for clerkships starting in September 2015 (since I will not have materials ready until February), but now I am tempted to apply to judges for September 2014 if the OSCAR requests keep on trickling in.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Very helpful stuff BK. Thanks...

As to Northwood, I was curious because I was originally planning on applying for clerkships starting in September 2015 (since I will not have materials ready until February), but now I am tempted to apply to judges for September 2014 if the OSCAR requests keep on trickling in.

Happy to help.

There will be a handful of judges that do hire late but I don't see any reason not to apply for 2014 if you have an app ready and a judge is looking to hire for 2014. That said, OSCAR information is often incorrect so don't necessarily assume that just because it says a judge isn't full or that the judge is looking to hire for 2014 doesn't mean that that is true.

theaccidentalclerk

Postby theaccidentalclerk » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:09 am

Some alum-only judges hire term clerks for terms that are basically open-ended (subject to a one- or two-year minimum and the four-year limit). If the clerk gets a great job that starts in April, a spot opens up then.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:47 am

As was previously said, a lot of these judges prefer hiring law clerks with some experience, so they really don't care about starting in August/September. Some judges don't get off on receiving 500+ applications to review. My judge didn't post the position until February. He got fewer applications (less than 200), but the quality of candidates were just as good. He actually preferred law students that didn't go to the "elite" law schools based on his past experience with them. While they were intelligent and produced decent work, they acted "entitled" and had a snobbish personality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:24 pm

Don't look too much into it. I'd say the vast majority of the time it's due to current clerks leaving. For instance, my co-clerk will be on maternity leave soon, so we have an opening in a few months. Another clerk here had to quit recently (and abruptly) due to health reasons, so there was a very small window for hiring and a pretty quick start date.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”