Know anyone who was fired from a clerkship?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 285327
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Know anyone who was fired from a clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:09 pm

I was wondering if any of you guys know of any clerks who were fired from their clerkship. I know of a clerk who was effectively fired because she/he basically pissed off the judge by saying he didn't want to be there anymore after 2 months (major personality conflict).

Have any clerks ever been fired for inability to do the work (as opposed to being a jerk)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 285327
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Know anyone who was fired from a clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:12 pm

Yes. Oddly, I interviewed with the judge and the judge/clerks told me about a clerk that "clearly couldn't cut it" after 1-2 weeks, so the judge asked the clerk to leave. A few weeks later, I told a friend that I interviewed with the judge but didn't get the job, and the friend told me he clerked there for 1-2 weeks, but the chambers restructured so the judge encouraged the clerk to take a different job that the judge had lined up for the clerk.

User avatar
pupshaw
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Know anyone who was fired from a clerkship?

Postby pupshaw » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes. Oddly, I interviewed with the judge and the judge/clerks told me about a clerk that "clearly couldn't cut it" after 1-2 weeks, so the judge asked the clerk to leave. A few weeks later, I told a friend that I interviewed with the judge but didn't get the job, and the friend told me he clerked there for 1-2 weeks, but the chambers restructured so the judge encouraged the clerk to take a different job that the judge had lined up for the clerk.


awkward

lolwat
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Know anyone who was fired from a clerkship?

Postby lolwat » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:23 pm

the firings i've personally heard of were similar sort of "encourage the clerk to do something else" stories

don't think any of them were based on inability to do work, just personality clashes (

Anonymous User
Posts: 285327
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Know anyone who was fired from a clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:25 pm

cerealdan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes. Oddly, I interviewed with the judge and the judge/clerks told me about a clerk that "clearly couldn't cut it" after 1-2 weeks, so the judge asked the clerk to leave. A few weeks later, I told a friend that I interviewed with the judge but didn't get the job, and the friend told me he clerked there for 1-2 weeks, but the chambers restructured so the judge encouraged the clerk to take a different job that the judge had lined up for the clerk.


awkward


Agreed. The gig the judge lined up was pretty sweet and the person is doing really well now, so no worries.

Anonymous User
Posts: 285327
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Know anyone who was fired from a clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Yes, my DCt co-clerk was fired outright, with around 2-3 weeks' notice, about halfway through her clerkship due to performance issues - perceived inadequate writing ability. This was in a good economy and she bounced back quickly, landing BigLaw within weeks. I'm not sure her firm ever knew she was fired, and she lists the clerkship on her firm bio. (I've always wondered whether she asked for a clerkship bonus, too, but never asked.) She's now a midlevel associate doing well and remains partner track. I should note that my judge is not vindictive and would probably have been compassionate enough to give her a good (not glowing, but good) reference if explicitly asked for one.

Anonymous User
Posts: 285327
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Know anyone who was fired from a clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:33 pm

I had a lawyer tell me that he was hired for a two-year clerkship and then partway through the judge told him it would only be a one-year clerkship and wouldn't give him a clear reason.

Anonymous User
Posts: 285327
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Know anyone who was fired from a clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yes, my DCt co-clerk was fired outright, with around 2-3 weeks' notice, about halfway through her clerkship due to performance issues - perceived inadequate writing ability. This was in a good economy and she bounced back quickly, landing BigLaw within weeks. I'm not sure her firm ever knew she was fired, and she lists the clerkship on her firm bio. (I've always wondered whether she asked for a clerkship bonus, too, but never asked.) She's now a midlevel associate doing well and remains partner track. I should note that my judge is not vindictive and would probably have been compassionate enough to give her a good (not glowing, but good) reference if explicitly asked for one.



Was her writing that obviously bad to you?

Anonymous User
Posts: 285327
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Know anyone who was fired from a clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes, my DCt co-clerk was fired outright, with around 2-3 weeks' notice, about halfway through her clerkship due to performance issues - perceived inadequate writing ability. This was in a good economy and she bounced back quickly, landing BigLaw within weeks. I'm not sure her firm ever knew she was fired, and she lists the clerkship on her firm bio. (I've always wondered whether she asked for a clerkship bonus, too, but never asked.) She's now a midlevel associate doing well and remains partner track. I should note that my judge is not vindictive and would probably have been compassionate enough to give her a good (not glowing, but good) reference if explicitly asked for one.


Was her writing that obviously bad to you?


Unfortunately, yes. I was assigned to rewrite a lot of writing in her cases, and I understood what the judge's concern was.

Anonymous User
Posts: 285327
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Know anyone who was fired from a clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes, my DCt co-clerk was fired outright, with around 2-3 weeks' notice, about halfway through her clerkship due to performance issues - perceived inadequate writing ability. This was in a good economy and she bounced back quickly, landing BigLaw within weeks. I'm not sure her firm ever knew she was fired, and she lists the clerkship on her firm bio. (I've always wondered whether she asked for a clerkship bonus, too, but never asked.) She's now a midlevel associate doing well and remains partner track. I should note that my judge is not vindictive and would probably have been compassionate enough to give her a good (not glowing, but good) reference if explicitly asked for one.


Was her writing that obviously bad to you?


Unfortunately, yes. I was assigned to rewrite a lot of writing in her cases, and I understood what the judge's concern was.


What made her writing bad? Typos/grammar mistakes, or weak legal analysis?

Anonymous User
Posts: 285327
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Know anyone who was fired from a clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Weak legal analysis. The former issue (grammar/typos) can be fixed quite easily, either by getting the clerk herself to pay more attention to detail or by having someone else do those edits. Deficits in analytical ability are not so easy to fix.

Anonymous User
Posts: 285327
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Know anyone who was fired from a clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:49 pm

I know of a judge at my court who somehow manages to do almost all of the work. The judge's clerks basically do nothing but scheduling, cite checking, and orders on very routine motions that require little more than copying and pasting.

The judge told the current about how she/he fired a past clerk after a few weeks because the clerk complained multiple times to the judge about being treated like nothing more than a secretary.

Anonymous User
Posts: 285327
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Know anyone who was fired from a clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:48 pm

I worked over the summer with someone who had been let go from his CoA clerkship because, as he described it, he didn't really get along with the other clerks. After working with him myself, I can't imagine why that was the case.

Anonymous User
Posts: 285327
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Know anyone who was fired from a clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:49 pm

I wonder what's harder to overcome, (1) being fired from a clerkship or (2) explaining a no-offer.

hiima3L
Posts: 899
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: Know anyone who was fired from a clerkship?

Postby hiima3L » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wonder what's harder to overcome, (1) being fired from a clerkship or (2) explaining a no-offer.


The former has to be. No offers can occur for a variety of reasons, e.g., economic ones. Being fired from a clerkship is extremely rare and means you're socially and/or intellectually incompetent.




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.