When to Apply for Post-Clerkship Jobs

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
peter2009

When to Apply for Post-Clerkship Jobs

Postby peter2009 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:46 pm

I'm a judicial clerk in NYC. I know this has been discussed in other threads, but it is difficult to find. People also seem to have different opinions. Some say apply right now, others that it is best to wait until January/February.

lolwat

Re: When to Apply for Post-Clerkship Jobs

Postby lolwat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:45 pm

I'm not sure why you would expect thet answer to be any different, but the short answer is: (1) ask your judge; (2) ask the firms you're interested in because it's not necessarily our opinions that differ so much as firm policies differ; some take applications now while the vast majority tend to wait until somewhere between Jan-April (and others only take applications for open positions on their website).

peter2009

Postby peter2009 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:06 pm

lolwat wrote:I'm not sure why you would expect thet answer to be any different, but the short answer is: (1) ask your judge; (2) ask the firms you're interested in because it's not necessarily our opinions that differ so much as firm policies differ; some take applications now while the vast majority tend to wait until somewhere between Jan-April (and others only take applications for open positions on their website).

It has been my experience that if you call or email a firm to ask when to apply, you never get an answer. If you've had a different experience, then I would like to know how you go about it. Plus, calling or emailing 25 or 50 firms takes about as much time as applying to these firms.

Maybe I should rephrase my question to which will get the best results, applying now or early 2014? Also, my Judge does not care when I start applying.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:58 am

My experience is that most biglaw firms and elite litigation boutiques will answer, assuming their website doesn't already state a general timeline. I just sent a brief email asking when I should apply. After getting enough answers that were somewhere around spring (Jan-Apr) I just decided to stop asking every firm and just mass mail out applications starting in January/February. So, I personally think that is the right timeline for most firms. I mean, firms that will begin looking at applications now probably won't stop looking at applications then either, but my experience is that like 95% of firms look at applications after the start of the new year.

Some random examples off the top of my head:

- Munger, Susman, Gibson Dunn (DC), Irell told me to apply whenever.
- Williams & Connolly, Robbins Russell, Kellogg Huber told me to apply in January.
- S&C's website says Spring. Keker's website says February.
- Alston & Bird, Arnold & Porter only takes applications for open positions. I think Hunton & Williams does too even though their website suggests otherwise.
- Jones Day just has online applications for judicial clerks, but I have no clue when they actually review them.
- Caldwell & Leslie has a clerk hiring period, but I'm not sure when it is--all I know is that I applied too late and they told me to call them if I was interested in applying next time around.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”