Judge Calling References -> Before or After Making Decision? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Judge Calling References -> Before or After Making Decision?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:11 am

Re: Clerkships: Do judges call your references before or after making his decision.

Any input is appreciated!

blurbz

Silver

Re: Judge Calling References -> Before or After Making Decision?

Post by blurbz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:23 am

If it's after, what would be the use of calling?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:26 am

blurbz wrote:If it's after, what would be the use of calling?
I think the OP means, does the judge call references to help make the decision, or pick someone, then call references just to confirm that said choice isn't a psychopath or lying or the like. I've heard of both methods. My judge called references before making a final decision (to the extent he called anyone. He didn't call any of my references, whom he didn't know, but he did call references for the guy he hired while I was there, because he knew the references personally).

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:28 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
I think the OP means, does the judge call references to help make the decision, or pick someone, then call references just to confirm that said choice isn't a psychopath or lying or the like. I've heard of both methods. My judge called references before making a final decision (to the extent he called anyone. He didn't call any of my references, whom he didn't know, but he did call references for the guy he hired while I was there, because he knew the references personally).
Fair enough. Sorry for the snark.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:35 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
OP Here.

Yes, this is what I mean. OK, so both methods have been used. Good to know!

Also, do you guys this the shutdown will delay the process?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ClerkAdvisor

Bronze

Post by ClerkAdvisor » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
OP Here.

Yes, this is what I mean. OK, so both methods have been used. Good to know!

Also, do you guys this the shutdown will delay the process?
It shouldn't. Courts have 10 business days of funding before their funding runs. Once funding runs out, chambers staff are generally considered essential, so that shouldn't effect hiring. And, of course, judges always get paid.

Opinions_R_Us

New

Post by Opinions_R_Us » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Re: Clerkships: Do judges call your references before or after making his decision.

Any input is appreciated!
Personally, when I get the candidates down to two or three finalists, I call the references and talk to them before making my final decision. About half of the judges I know also do the same thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”