Govt. Shutdown

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Govt. Shutdown

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:25 am

I will start my clerkship on 21 October. Should I just report for duty on that day? Is it okay to call to find out if I am furloughed before I start? I will need to move from coast to coast, so it is not trivial.

ClerkAdvisor

Re: Govt. Shutdown

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:01 am

I'd be very surprised if you were not considered to be an essential employee. My understanding is that most courts consider chambers staff to be essential. Because of courts' criminal dockets, they can't shutdown.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:12 am

The last shutdown lasted 21 days, and there is a pretty good chance that by Oct. 21, things will be resolved (unless there is another debt ceiling shutdown). You probably don't have to worry for another two weeks, if at all--federal courts have some reserves, which differ from court to court, and won't be shutting down completely.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:16 am

Good to know. That's what I thought.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:15 pm

The reserve supposed to run out in 10 days. Although, this issue will likely be resolved before your start date, even if it is not resolved, judicial law clerks are considered essential employees and, thus, must report for work. After the reserve runs out, we will still be working but will not get paid until congress resolves this issue (i.e. we will get paid retroactively)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:I will start my clerkship on 21 October. Should I just report for duty on that day? Is it okay to call to find out if I am furloughed before I start? I will need to move from coast to coast, so it is not trivial.

Hey OP. May I ask what court you're going to? I am in the same situation - I have a clerkship slated to start 10/21 and have not yet received specific notice as to being furloughed. I assume I am not furloughed, but I also haven't been told what time I should arrive for my first day.... Needless to say, the whole situation is unsettling.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:37 pm

Chambers are generally pretty lax about telling you when to show up etc. If you have questions, just call and ask. It's really not a big deal - they're often waiting for you to contact them.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”