HLS chances at circuit court clerkships 15-16

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

HLS chances at circuit court clerkships 15-16

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:04 pm

Seems like a large number of gunners from HLS c/o 2015 are on TLS, so maybe you dudes and dudettes can help me out. Basically, I want D.C. Circuit bad. Real bad. I'm at a smack dab 4.0 after 1L but didn't make LR, and I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea to wait a year for some GPA boostage. Thoughts? Course, I appreciate advice from any and all, HLS or not, but HLS peeps might have a better sense of where I stand with respect to the rest of the class, how previous cohorts have fared, etc. etc.

Thanks all.

Anonymous User

Re: HLS chances at circuit court clerkships 15-16

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Seems like a large number of gunners from HLS c/o 2015 are on TLS, so maybe you dudes and dudettes can help me out. Basically, I want D.C. Circuit bad. Real bad. I'm at a smack dab 4.0 after 1L but didn't make LR, and I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea to wait a year for some GPA boostage. Thoughts? Course, I appreciate advice from any and all, HLS or not, but HLS peeps might have a better sense of where I stand with respect to the rest of the class, how previous cohorts have fared, etc. etc.

Thanks all.

D.C Circuit would be pretty hard with only a 4.0, although i'm sure it's not impossible. You're probably out with the top judges (e.g., Garland, Kavanaugh, Griffith, Tatel, etc.). Might as well apply though. See this post/thread: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=203203#p6358136

-HLS 3L

To maximize your chances, focus on applying to the D.C. Cir. judges that don't appear on this list: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=202674#p6326869.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:56 pm

Thanks. Can I ask how you came by this info, without getting into the nitty gritty? It sounds like you might have applied and gotten one. Also, do you know anything with respect to waiting a year to accumulate more DSs or would that not matter much? Like you said, the D.C. feeder judges are a long shot, but I'm less concerned with that than with location. Ideology is also not a concern.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. Can I ask how you came by this info, without getting into the nitty gritty? It sounds like you might have applied and gotten one. Also, do you know anything with respect to waiting a year to accumulate more DSs or would that not matter much? Like you said, the D.C. feeder judges are a long shot, but I'm less concerned with that than with location. Ideology is also not a concern.

HLS 3L, above. I am clerking for a non-D.C. Circuit feeder judge after graduation, and I interviewed for a spot on the D.C. Circuit. The post I linked above was written by a poster who said he was a past/present/future D.C. Circuit clerk from HLS.

I would apply now, since there is little downside to doing so. Worst case you don't get an interview and you can try again next year. But there is also not a big downside to waiting a year to try and improve your grades, since that will likely only lead to a stronger application, especially if you obtain a district court clerkship in the meantime. It also gives you time to develop a writing sample as well. You should also consider 4th Circuit judges if you are set on being near D.C. Some of those judges have chambers close to D.C., I belief.

If I were in your shoes, I would mail applications to all the D.C. Circuit and 4th Circuit judges near D.C., as well as district court judges for the district of D.C. and Virginia and Maryland judges that are close to D.C. Hope for favorable results, but if you don't get lucky, take a district court clerkship in your desired location and reapply with a improved application for 2016-17.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:45 am

HLS alum and current clerk. DC Cir. is probably a stretch with your qualifications. I think you have a decent shot at EDVA, DDC, and plenty of judges on 2/9/7/everywhere else, but probably not the DC Circuit.

Why are you so interested in the DC Circuit? Serious and non-judgmental question. It will help us give you answers about what your next steps should look like.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:44 am

It's pretty simple if a bit naive. I want an appellate clerkship, and I have my reasons for needing to be in the D.C. area (don't want to get into any more detail on that point). I'll probably end up doing what the HLS 3L suggested. Thanks for the input.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”