Re: Offer timelines/rules

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:48 pm

For those of you fortunate to have recieved offers during clerkship, what are the rules? can you accept while you are clerking or is one of those situation where the offer will be left open until you finish your clerkship? if you get an offer from a firm you wouldn't mind working for but several of your top choice firms do not take applications until a few months later, how do you handle that?

Again, I know these are all best case scenerios but I was just curious on the process so I can tailor my application timelines accordingly! Thanks

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:55 pm

The very first and most important thing you do is ask your judge. Each has his/her own policies on whether you can interview with firms and/or accept offers during the clerkship.

That might take care of all of your questions, but if your judge allows you to accept offers during the clerkship, the second thing you probably do is ask the firm for their policy, and if you really want your top choice firm that accepts applications a few months later, I guess you ask the first firm if you can have X time to review the offer etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:02 pm

lolwat wrote:The very first and most important thing you do is ask your judge. Each has his/her own policies on whether you can interview with firms and/or accept offers during the clerkship.

That might take care of all of your questions, but if your judge allows you to accept offers during the clerkship, the second thing you probably do is ask the firm for their policy, and if you really want your top choice firm that accepts applications a few months later, I guess you ask the first firm if you can have X time to review the offer etc.

+1

Also there is this: https://oscar.uscourts.gov/assets/Maint ... s_2011.pdf (but of course whatever your judge/firm says trumps anything in the handbook).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:46 pm

Op here,

Yes I already talked to my Judge so I have the green light. I am just trying to tactfully approach this because I reached out to few firms and some said go ahead and apply.

Another question, how did you go about your writing sample, did you use summary judgment, discovery motions, or does it really matter. Also, if you do not have a writing sample from your current judge because the cases are still pending, should you state in your cover letter. (or should I just use my law school writing sample?)

Sorry for all the questions, this process is creating all sorts of grey areas for me.

Thank you for all your answers!!

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:52 pm

Summary judgment is probably the best (assuming you have the green light for that too). And if you don't have one, no need to state it, just use something different (although most firms won't require a writing sample, anyway).

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”