Oscar Clerkships + State Clerkships

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Oscar Clerkships + State Clerkships

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:14 pm

Sorry, I posted in the wrong section

To save a long story, I am now unfortunately back in the job market as a 3L, top 15%, t-35, LR Board. I didn't apply for Fed clerkships b/c I didn't think I would need to, but now I am on Oscar looking at available positions. My question is does anyone have any idea about how often the judges update the information to indicate whether the position has been filled? I can tell that some haven't been modified in a long while, so I am just curious if those could have been filled. I know this is a speculative question, but maybe someone has already run into this issue.

Also, what is the general feel about the prestige of state courts in the SE? I am planning on applying to appellate and supreme court levels, and I was just wondering how these types of clerkships are viewed by biglaw/ top level midlaw.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Oscar Clerkships + State Clerkships

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:23 pm

You should apply to any OSCAR judges you can because you're behind on time. Many judges have already filled their spots. I know many people who got their clerkships right at the beginning of 3L year. I know only a few who got them later in 3L year. So apply, apply to as many judges as you can. Don't worry if your profs haven't finished their LORs yet.

I wouldn't worry so much about the prestige of a state clerkship right now. You need employment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:09 pm

OP here - I realize that I am behind the ball on Fed Clerkships, and I planned to apply to any and all I can connect with. Thanks for the advice.

Also, I think I might have come off wrong with the "prestige" comment. I guess I am curious about how state courts are viewed after the clerkship. I know the goal right now is employment, but I am also interested in doing transactional (specifically corp tax) work after the clerkship, which is generally limited to bigger/ more respected firms. I just want to put myself in the best position coming out of the clerkship to find work in the field I like.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: prestige, I don't have specifics but I would look at some of the firms and see if they have any clerkship bonuses. I mean, if they say that they give a clerkship bonus to federal clerkships + SSCs, then they probably view them both pretty favorably. If they only give clerkship bonuses for federal clerkships, then they probably don't view state clerkships quite as favorably. And so on. I think in general, the line is drawn at SSCs for big firms, but local goodfirms might still view state appellate clerkships very favorably. Very firm-dependent.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”