Bar Exam Fees with Clerkship

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Bar Exam Fees with Clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:02 am

If the firm I'm doing my 2L summer with typically covers bar expenses, but I want to defer their offer (assuming I get one) to clerk for a year, will they still cover bar expenses? Does this vary from firm-to-firm?

I know this is really early, but barbri has that bar review fee matching thing right now so I was wondering if I need to be putting money in or if I can count on the firm paying for it. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous User

Re: Bar Exam Fees with Clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:14 am

Generally yes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:19 pm

Biglaw will cover your bar expenses even if you defer to clerk. The only snag may be your judge - check with him/her (once you get a clerkship) to be sure the judge is OK with it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:27 pm

I think many judges are not ok with you taking money from a firm. I had to cover my own bar fees, which sucked, but the firm will reimburse me (plus the clerkship bonus) when I get there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think many judges are not ok with you taking money from a firm. I had to cover my own bar fees, which sucked, but the firm will reimburse me (plus the clerkship bonus) when I get there.

Totally depends on the judge, but, for what's it worth, the federal law clerk ethics handbook specifically says it's okay to accept bar exam reimbursement fees while you're still clerking. https://oscar.uscourts.gov/assets/Maint ... s_2011.pdf (see page 25).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:51 pm

My firm paid for bar costs and my judge allowed it. My judge's rule is nothing can get paid by the firm during the clerkship itself. He said as long as they pay everything before I start and I don't accept any advances or other scratch from the firm until my term is over, it's all good.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”