Judge Wants to Talk to Me Again Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Judge Wants to Talk to Me Again

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:13 pm

State Appellate/Supreme Level

I got a call the other day asking me to come into the judge's chambers next week. Luckily, it's only about an hour's drive away from where I live. I asked the judicial assistant what I should bring to the meeting (she didn't call it an interview) and he said, "oh, [Judge/Justice X] just wants to talk with you."

I interviewed about three weeks ago. The judge said she would make a decision by October and had other candidates.

Career services has been useless in trying to tell me the hiring practices of this judge, no one from my school has ever interviewed with her. So, anyone have an idea what to expect? Is the judge looking for more info from me to narrow choices? Is she trying to let me down easy in person (this would be cruel IMHO)? Or, should I possibly be expecting an in-person offer?

Truly a question, not an anonymous humble brag. I swear. :|

Anonymous User

Re: Judge Wants to Talk to Me Again

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:38 am

Was there any indication there would be a second interview?

It's completely possible the judge is having trouble picking between candidates. One judge I clerked for told me about how he simply could not pick between two candidates, so he had them both come in and do a writing sample, and whoever did better got the job. This is a possibility, but I'd imagine they'd tell you beforehand.

Or maybe she just wants to interview you on some things you didn't cover in your first interview.

Opinions_R_Us

New

Post by Opinions_R_Us » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:45 am

I have been there and I would bet that the choice has come down to you and one or two others and the judge wants to talk to the finalists in an effort to break the tie.

Since you haven't been asked for any more writing samples, my guess would be that it comes down to which candidate's personality would fit best with that of the judge and the other chambers personnel.

My advice - don't force anything, just be yourself and be nice to the other people in chambers that you may meet.

Hope that helps.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Opinions_R_Us wrote:... I would bet that the choice has come down to you and one or two others and the judge wants to talk to the finalists in an effort to break the tie. ....my guess would be that it comes down to which candidate's personality would fit best with that of the judge and the other chambers personnel.
OP here. This was correct. Hour informal interview, went pretty well, was told a strong prof rec and post-interview follow up conversation with her and the fact that I interviewed first was the reason I was brought back. The judge didn't want me to suffer from being first and less memorable.

I hope the second interview wasn't just to satisfy my prof, who the judge knows, that her call to the judge did nothing.

Said I'd get a call either way in a few days.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:14 pm

Sounds pretty good to me. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:55 am

Opinions_R_Us wrote:My advice - don't force anything, just be yourself and be nice to the other people in chambers that you may meet.
OP here, this worked. I got an offer. Very relieved after hundreds of applications. Thanks for indulging my question.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:56 am

Congrats!!

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:00 am

Congrats! Good work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:23 am

Congratulations! That is a GREAT opportunity.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Opinions_R_Us

New

Post by Opinions_R_Us » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Opinions_R_Us wrote:My advice - don't force anything, just be yourself and be nice to the other people in chambers that you may meet.
OP here, this worked. I got an offer. Very relieved after hundreds of applications. Thanks for indulging my question.

Congratulations! Being a law clerk is the best job in the law - unfortunately it is usually also your first job in the law so it may be downhill after that <smile>.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:37 pm

Opinions_R_Us wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congratulations! Being a law clerk is the best job in the law - unfortunately it is usually also your first job in the law so it may be downhill after that <smile>.
I'll agree that it's the best job I've had so far, but with all respect, I think you have the best job. :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Opinions_R_Us wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks! I found your earlier thread very helpful. For a while, until I narrowed it down, I had a suspicion you were the judge I interned with my 1L summer, but some of the details didn't fit right. Best of luck!

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:50 pm

Grats :)

Opinions_R_Us

New

Post by Opinions_R_Us » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Opinions_R_Us wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'll agree that it's the best job I've had so far, but with all respect, I think you have the best job. :lol:
Touche! I really can't dispute that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”