Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Am I the only one saying "ugh oooooo" after hearing the government shutdown and debt ceiling can has been kicked down the road to the end of December/January right at the beginning of recruiting season for judicial clerks?

insideman

Postby insideman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Why would it matter?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:27 am

well a partner I know at a v20 firm was telling me that all their clients have accumulated lots of cash on reserve and are anxious to spend it on business transactions, but are not because of the uncertainty with congress. He said firms are anticipated a rush of business soon, but just not sure when the gate will open and that it will probably stay closed until congress deals with this issue. The more business these firms have, the better for us. I just dont want congress repeating what happened just now and making us wait through it. Who knows, maybe it wont affect us at all.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:well a partner I know at a v20 firm was telling me that all their clients have accumulated lots of cash on reserve and are anxious to spend it on business transactions, but are not because of the uncertainty with congress. He said firms are anticipated a rush of business soon, but just not sure when the gate will open and that it will probably stay closed until congress deals with this issue. The more business these firms have, the better for us. I just dont want congress repeating what happened just now and making us wait through it. Who knows, maybe it wont affect us at all.

Assuming that's true, it's going to be mostly felt on the transactional side which shouldn't affect clerk hiring all that much since clerks overwhelmingly end up in litigation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm halfway through a 2-year district court clerkship in a large east coast city (ED Pa/D Mass). Sent my resume/transcript to arguably the biggest/best firm in the city a few weeks ago through a friend who works there. Got a call this week about scheduling an interview sometime next week or the following week. They said I'd be meeting with 5 people and then having lunch or drinks with an associate. Is this normal? I thought there would be some kind of brief screening interview first. I'm a little freaked out. Also looking for advice on how to handle the topic of getting no-offered during my 2L summer. I summered at a firm where my law school is located (Columbia/Chicago) but want to stay in my current city where my clerkship is located (and also where I am barred). Is the no-offer going to kill me? For background, I had good grades (top 1/3) but no honors or journal. I was not the only person in my summer class to get no-offered (about 1/3 of us did not get offers)..

Any advice on interviewing is appreciated!

I'm the person who posted the above post a few weeks ago. I had the interview at the biglaw firm 2 weeks ago as of tomorrow... and still haven't heard back. I know a couple people at the firm who put in a good word for me, and I think the interview went pretty well. They did not ask about the no-offer, which was a huge relief. I also know (from one of my friends who works there) that they really need to hire litigation associates because not enough of the summer class (not sure if that means this year's class or last year's) wanted litigation, and that they want clerks because none of the incoming associates who will be starting next fall had a clerkship. I feel like these all seem to point to a favorable outcome... is it a bad sign it's been 2 weeks with no word? Or is that normal given the fact that I'm applying for a job that won't start for almost a year?

EtherOne

Postby EtherOne » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm halfway through a 2-year district court clerkship in a large east coast city (ED Pa/D Mass). Sent my resume/transcript to arguably the biggest/best firm in the city a few weeks ago through a friend who works there. Got a call this week about scheduling an interview sometime next week or the following week. They said I'd be meeting with 5 people and then having lunch or drinks with an associate. Is this normal? I thought there would be some kind of brief screening interview first. I'm a little freaked out. Also looking for advice on how to handle the topic of getting no-offered during my 2L summer. I summered at a firm where my law school is located (Columbia/Chicago) but want to stay in my current city where my clerkship is located (and also where I am barred). Is the no-offer going to kill me? For background, I had good grades (top 1/3) but no honors or journal. I was not the only person in my summer class to get no-offered (about 1/3 of us did not get offers)..

Any advice on interviewing is appreciated!

I'm the person who posted the above post a few weeks ago. I had the interview at the biglaw firm 2 weeks ago as of tomorrow... and still haven't heard back. I know a couple people at the firm who put in a good word for me, and I think the interview went pretty well. They did not ask about the no-offer, which was a huge relief. I also know (from one of my friends who works there) that they really need to hire litigation associates because not enough of the summer class (not sure if that means this year's class or last year's) wanted litigation, and that they want clerks because none of the incoming associates who will be starting next fall had a clerkship. I feel like these all seem to point to a favorable outcome... is it a bad sign it's been 2 weeks with no word? Or is that normal given the fact that I'm applying for a job that won't start for almost a year?

You have nothing to worry about. Even some OCI offers come out 2+ weeks after callback. Post-clerkship hiring is all over the map, and it really depends on the firm. Plus, they are in no rush to make decisions right now.

Are you currently clerking?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:31 pm

any movement here? my plan is to do some mass mailing this month.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:36 pm

I finally received a couple of rejection letters this month from firms I applied to back in October, but nothing new beyond that.

How long does it take to get a job as a contract attorney for a doc review company?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:32 pm

I sent few feeler apps out to big firms around oct/november, got a couple rejection letters but the rest either didnt respond or stated to apply in the spring. So I plan on sending out mass letters late Jan or feb. With the economy picking up, lets hope we have a decent outcome after few months from now :)

p.s. how are you handling writing sample. Most don't ask for one, but I had couple of firms that told me to submit writing sample when I apply in the spring. I am in the middle of my clership term so I suppose I can find a summary judgment to submit but I have no idea how my judge feels about writing samples.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I sent few feeler apps out to big firms around oct/november, got a couple rejection letters but the rest either didnt respond or stated to apply in the spring. So I plan on sending out mass letters late Jan or feb. With the economy picking up, lets hope we have a decent outcome after few months from now :)

p.s. how are you handling writing sample. Most don't ask for one, but I had couple of firms that told me to submit writing sample when I apply in the spring. I am in the middle of my clership term so I suppose I can find a summary judgment to submit but I have no idea how my judge feels about writing samples.

I'm using a SJ order that I wrote for my Judge, with Judge's permission. Also doing mass mailing now--I'm getting nervous with only about 6 months to go.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:I sent few feeler apps out to big firms around oct/november, got a couple rejection letters but the rest either didnt respond or stated to apply in the spring. So I plan on sending out mass letters late Jan or feb. With the economy picking up, lets hope we have a decent outcome after few months from now :)

With my judge's permission, I am using a heavily redacted bench memo on an extremely narrow issue in a case that nobody from a large firm is likely to see or care about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm using a SJ order that I wrote for my Judge, with Judge's permission. Also doing mass mailing now--I'm getting nervous with only about 6 months to go.

What part of the summary J do you redact. I know this sound silly but I have no idea what to redact as the SMJ opinion I plan on using is basically identitical to the version published on Westlaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What part of the summary J do you redact. I know this sound silly but I have no idea what to redact as the SMJ opinion I plan on using is basically identitical to the version published on Westlaw.

Yeah, that's what I did. I don't see why you'd need to redact anything that's already on the public record. I shortened mine up a bit-- took out the procedural history and whatnot, but it's basically the same thing that is published.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:37 pm

I would just ask your judge. I used an order and my judge was fine with it, since it was published on Westlaw - he had no problem with me using anything that was public knowledge (if I wanted to use something internal he'd have to check it on a case-by-case basis), and I didn't redact anything either. But there is a school of thought that you shouldn't submit something that's gone out under the judge's name as your own work - it might be limited to applying to other judges, but it's come up here. It's not at all a weird thing to ask about though - clerks are usually job-hunting so judges deal with this regularly, and it's not like the judge doesn't know you're going to be leaving.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:02 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I would just ask your judge. I used an order and my judge was fine with it, since it was published on Westlaw - he had no problem with me using anything that was public knowledge (if I wanted to use something internal he'd have to check it on a case-by-case basis), and I didn't redact anything either. But there is a school of thought that you shouldn't submit something that's gone out under the judge's name as your own work - it might be limited to applying to other judges, but it's come up here. It's not at all a weird thing to ask about though - clerks are usually job-hunting so judges deal with this regularly, and it's not like the judge doesn't know you're going to be leaving.

I would also strongly suggest you note on any application that your judge OK'd it and state whether your judge worked on it at all. When reviewing applicants for my replacement, my judge was very miffed by applicants who used things that (1) other people presumably worked on and/or (2) things that weren't ultimately the applicant's work product without clarification. Many applicants used a judge's order/decision and (probably unintentionally) treated it as entirely their own. As long as there was clarification, the judge didn't care, though.

My two cents: I personally think using something that someone else has worked on is a bit disingenuous--it's not 100% your work. I also wouldn't want to use it because it wouldn't reflect my writing style and ability. What counts as good writing is all over the place, and I'd want someone to hire me knowing that they know my writing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:07 pm

"But there is a school of thought that you shouldn't submit something that's gone out under the judge's name as your own work - it might be limited to applying to other judges, but it's come up here"

That is what I am worried about. I am using this particular smj opinion because that is the one where it is entirely my work as the judge agreed with everything and simply approved it (a co-clerk looked at it for typos that is about it). Nonetheless, i feel a bit uneasy using this opinion because I am essensitally saying "I wrote this opinion" since it is identical to the one on westlaw. So I am thinking about just using a redact form of one of the opinions the judge altered (thus my sample won't be identical to the one published). What do you all think? (other than the obvious ask the judge reply :) )

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:"But there is a school of thought that you shouldn't submit something that's gone out under the judge's name as your own work - it might be limited to applying to other judges, but it's come up here"

That is what I am worried about. I am using this particular smj opinion because that is the one where it is entirely my work as the judge agreed with everything and simply approved it (a co-clerk looked at it for typos that is about it). Nonetheless, i feel a bit uneasy using this opinion because I am essensitally saying "I wrote this opinion" since it is identical to the one on westlaw. So I am thinking about just using a redact form of one of the opinions the judge altered (thus my sample won't be identical to the one published). What do you all think? (other than the obvious ask the judge reply :) )

Firms know that clerks write the opinions. Any firm that doesn't know that is a firm that I don't want to work for. I don't really see a problem with using a published opinion as a writing sample--with the caveat being if you're asked about it you don't want to make it sound like everything that comes out of chambers is your opinion with the judge's signature at the bottom.

My writing sample is a three page opinion that the judge didn't modify at all. It's on a relatively minor procedural issue, but I think it's a great piece of writing that handles a somewhat sticky issue in a novel and interesting way. If you're worried about giving off the impression that you're taking more credit than you're due, then use a "less important" order than--for example--the order on summary judgement in a blockbuster case.

I think it's beneficial to use something like my writing sample (an order on a motion to strike) because it allows me to demonstrate that my judge trusts me to handle routine procedural issues with little to no oversight before he reviews the finished product.

On a different note, how's the hunt going for everyone? I've had a bunch of informational interviews and had a couple litigation boutiques ask for my resume. Only one interview so far, but it feels like activity is picking up.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote: On a different note, how's the hunt going for everyone? I've had a bunch of informational interviews and had a couple litigation boutiques ask for my resume. Only one interview so far, but it feels like activity is picking up.

Terrible for me. I've been applying to firms in the Houston/Dallas/San Antonio/Austin markets and received no positive responses. I've even been applying to insurance defense, personal injury, and debt collection firms with no luck.

What market(s) are you applying in?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:54 pm

Submitted apps in the last week or so to couple dozen biglaw firms in the east coast. Got 2 dings, but havent heard anything back other than that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:18 pm

We've started receiving biglaw "please apply to us, clerks," mailings in my district. I'm not looking for a job, so I haven't been paying much attention, but if anyone wants to know the firms, I can share. West coast, by the way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:29 pm

COA clerk here. Sent out a bunch of apps to big law firms on east coast a couple weeks ago. A couple dings of the "we aren't hiring" variety but nothing else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:43 pm

I'm also beginning to send out applications. Seems only a short time ago I was doing this for firms and then judges. It's excruciatingly boring. Well, good luck everyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:We've started receiving biglaw "please apply to us, clerks," mailings in my district. I'm not looking for a job, so I haven't been paying much attention, but if anyone wants to know the firms, I can share. West coast, by the way.

Which firms, if you don't mind?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:17 am

legalese_retard wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: On a different note, how's the hunt going for everyone? I've had a bunch of informational interviews and had a couple litigation boutiques ask for my resume. Only one interview so far, but it feels like activity is picking up.

Terrible for me. I've been applying to firms in the Houston/Dallas/San Antonio/Austin markets and received no positive responses. I've even been applying to insurance defense, personal injury, and debt collection firms with no luck.

What market(s) are you applying in?

Just Atlanta. My interviews/inquiries are almost entirely from networking.

If you're fortunate enough to be clerking in the market you want to work in, I strongly recommend setting up 1-2 informational interviews a week. They're helpful, generate leads, and I've never had to pay for my lunch.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:59 am

Am I too late here? I am currently serving in a state court clerkship in PA. I would like to relocate back to Rochester, NY this fall and begin work at a firm. Am I too late to apply? Or is January/February about the right time for this?

Also, I have no firm experience, as I did both my summers at non-profit type law offices. Am I screwed?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”