Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:57 pm

I know there are bunch of Post-Clerkship Job search threads, but I thought it will be helpful to have separate ones per term cycle.

So here it goes. Regarding post clerkship jobs for a clerkship ending in Fall 2014 (please answer in the format below so we can have consistancy ), State whether you have applied already, when do you plan on starting to apply (if not), what market, and any success/dings?

1) Big Law
2) Mid Law
3) Government/non-profit

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:49 pm

Also curious about this. Around what time of year can we expect firms to start to reach out to us?

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby TruckerD » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:48 am

I am definitely curious about this too. I am in Alabama (clerkship/school were here too) and we get our bar results this week. I was planning to start at least sending out feelers once I find out whether I passed. I have struck out on getting another clerkship beginning 2014 so I am definitely trying to find a firm job.

I am not 100% sure where to start with firms though. I got an SA gig in Atlanta but they no-offered me (and half the class). I didn't have any offers here in Alabama for my 2L summer and the fact that I went out of state may prejudice those firms against me even more now. I'm basically good for anywhere in the South and would look elsewhere if I thought they would consider me. I graduated 4th at Bama, did LR and MC (Jessup), but I feel like I just didn't get very far in all my networking attempts while at school because I'm not from Alabama. In fact, I have relatively flimsy geographic connection to any specific place (moved a lot growing up), so geography has been my biggest enemy.

So if anyone has advice on how/when to apply while doing a clerkship or any specific advice for me, please let me know. Also, someone mentioned that firms would contact you during a clerkship -- does that really ever happen anymore?

D

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:11 pm

There is another thread on when to apply somewhere in this forum, and it appears general consensus is firms don't really start looking at clerk applications until at least January (and at some firms, later than that).

lolwat
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby lolwat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Also, someone mentioned that firms would contact you during a clerkship -- does that really ever happen anymore?


This really only happens to clerks on like, 2/9/DC and stuff.

General timeline for firm applications is January-April of whatever year your clerkship is about to end (so in this case, 2014). Sending out feelers isn't going to hurt, but most (probably 99%) of firms will tell you to apply sometime during that time frame. Munger, Susman, and Gibson Dunn (DC) are the only ones that told me just to go ahead and apply.

Alabama is a T25 school or something isn't it? Feel free to PM.

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby TruckerD » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:13 pm

Thanks for the info y'all :). And yes, Bama is currently ranked 21.

ClerkAdvisor
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:59 pm

TruckerD wrote:I am definitely curious about this too. I am in Alabama (clerkship/school were here too) and we get our bar results this week. I was planning to start at least sending out feelers once I find out whether I passed. I have struck out on getting another clerkship beginning 2014 so I am definitely trying to find a firm job.

I am not 100% sure where to start with firms though. I got an SA gig in Atlanta but they no-offered me (and half the class). I didn't have any offers here in Alabama for my 2L summer and the fact that I went out of state may prejudice those firms against me even more now. I'm basically good for anywhere in the South and would look elsewhere if I thought they would consider me. I graduated 4th at Bama, did LR and MC (Jessup), but I feel like I just didn't get very far in all my networking attempts while at school because I'm not from Alabama. In fact, I have relatively flimsy geographic connection to any specific place (moved a lot growing up), so geography has been my biggest enemy.

So if anyone has advice on how/when to apply while doing a clerkship or any specific advice for me, please let me know. Also, someone mentioned that firms would contact you during a clerkship -- does that really ever happen anymore?

D


If you're clerking for a Alabama judge and you want to stay in Alabama, you should ask your judge for advice. If nothing else, your judge should be able to put you in touch with former clerks in Alabama, and they will probably be some of your best contacts for post-clerkship job prospects.

User avatar
legalese_retard
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:14 pm

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby legalese_retard » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:08 am

TruckerD wrote:Thanks for the info y'all :). And yes, Bama is currently ranked 21.


I agree with ClerkAdvisor. You should also try to get involved with the local bar assocation and young lawyers association group. Most of the local firms will be very interested in hiring a former law clerk if they can hire a new attorney. However, before formally applying to these firms, be sure to get permission from your judge. Each judge has a different perspective on conflicts and ethics, so it is best to check first.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:32 am

How much love to the other 2nd circuit courts get? I know SDNY obviously gets love. How about ED and ND? Do any of yall know if clerks at those courts got recruitment letters from firms during their clerkships?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:50 am

What do you usually include in your application materials? is resume and transcript sufficient with a brief here is my app email or do you include a cover letter as well? Do you add writing sample? (assuming the firm does not expressly require cover letters or writing samples)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:53 am

my question goes to resume, if you have a one year gap between your graduation and the start of your clerkship, how do you put that on a resume? also, if you did few doc revew projects to earn money and travel through out the gap year, should you disclose that on the resume? should this be a big concern for me? I know doc review kind of gets you tainted but I figured even if you get an offer you have to disclose it for conflicts so might as well come clean now! So any advice on how to word it on the resume, I would greatly appreciate it

lolwat
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby lolwat » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:56 pm

What do you usually include in your application materials? is resume and transcript sufficient with a brief here is my app email or do you include a cover letter as well? Do you add writing sample? (assuming the firm does not expressly require cover letters or writing samples)


You always send a cover letter in some form. You can either use the body of the e-mail for your cover letter or attach a separate cover letter. I like doing the former. You always attach at least a resume. A transcript is often needed to complete your application so you might as well send one over as well. Writing samples are generally unnecessary; relatively few firms require them.

my question goes to resume, if you have a one year gap between your graduation and the start of your clerkship, how do you put that on a resume? also, if you did few doc revew projects to earn money and travel through out the gap year, should you disclose that on the resume? should this be a big concern for me? I know doc review kind of gets you tainted but I figured even if you get an offer you have to disclose it for conflicts so might as well come clean now! So any advice on how to word it on the resume, I would greatly appreciate it


I'd include the doc review. I have a gap year on my resume and it certainly doesn't help (and questions get asked about it quite often, along with my lack of 2L SA) but it would look even worse to have, well, nothing listed for an entire year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:my question goes to resume, if you have a one year gap between your graduation and the start of your clerkship, how do you put that on a resume? also, if you did few doc revew projects to earn money and travel through out the gap year, should you disclose that on the resume? should this be a big concern for me? I know doc review kind of gets you tainted but I figured even if you get an offer you have to disclose it for conflicts so might as well come clean now! So any advice on how to word it on the resume, I would greatly appreciate it


Can you try to spin it in any way? Sometimes you can use your creativity in ways that are still ethical and honest.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:my question goes to resume, if you have a one year gap between your graduation and the start of your clerkship, how do you put that on a resume? also, if you did few doc revew projects to earn money and travel through out the gap year, should you disclose that on the resume? should this be a big concern for me? I know doc review kind of gets you tainted but I figured even if you get an offer you have to disclose it for conflicts so might as well come clean now! So any advice on how to word it on the resume, I would greatly appreciate it


Can you try to spin it in any way? Sometimes you can use your creativity in ways that are still ethical and honest.


They were actually brief stunts, about couple of months in total, although they were two high profile litigations pertaining to antitrust and corporate governance. So I suppose I can say “that's what I would have been doing for you anyways if i worked here as a first year”. But I have no idea. I did use the time to travel so I can say, hey I traveled since I had the opp (I know they secretly would envy that lol)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:37 pm

I summered at a "big law" firm and am now clerking 2/9/DC. The firm gave me an offer to come back, but I couldn't accept because the judge doesn't like his clerks to have accepted offers. They said it was no problem and to keep in touch while I'm clerking. I sent an email a few weeks back saying I am still interested in the offer. So far, it has been radio silence.

Let's start with biggest fear: Has anyone ever heard of someone with an offer from a firm going to clerk and the firm withdrawing the offer?

More realistic question: How does this typically work? Those of you who have offers to go back to a firm, do you keep in contact with the firm? Or, is it more of a "we'll talk to you in a couple years after your clerkship" kind of thing?

ClerkAdvisor
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I summered at a "big law" firm and am now clerking 2/9/DC. The firm gave me an offer to come back, but I couldn't accept because the judge doesn't like his clerks to have accepted offers. They said it was no problem and to keep in touch while I'm clerking. I sent an email a few weeks back saying I am still interested in the offer. So far, it has been radio silence.

Let's start with biggest fear: Has anyone ever heard of someone with an offer from a firm going to clerk and the firm withdrawing the offer?

More realistic question: How does this typically work? Those of you who have offers to go back to a firm, do you keep in contact with the firm? Or, is it more of a "we'll talk to you in a couple years after your clerkship" kind of thing?


Generally, the firms just expect you to let them know what you plan to do sometime in the spring of your clerkship. And unless you were asking the firm something specific, I wouldn't expect a reply right now -- this is sort of a busy time for firm's recruiting people.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:49 pm

TruckerD wrote:I am definitely curious about this too. I am in Alabama (clerkship/school were here too) and we get our bar results this week. I was planning to start at least sending out feelers once I find out whether I passed. I have struck out on getting another clerkship beginning 2014 so I am definitely trying to find a firm job.

I am not 100% sure where to start with firms though. I got an SA gig in Atlanta but they no-offered me (and half the class). I didn't have any offers here in Alabama for my 2L summer and the fact that I went out of state may prejudice those firms against me even more now. I'm basically good for anywhere in the South and would look elsewhere if I thought they would consider me. I graduated 4th at Bama, did LR and MC (Jessup), but I feel like I just didn't get very far in all my networking attempts while at school because I'm not from Alabama. In fact, I have relatively flimsy geographic connection to any specific place (moved a lot growing up), so geography has been my biggest enemy.

So if anyone has advice on how/when to apply while doing a clerkship or any specific advice for me, please let me know. Also, someone mentioned that firms would contact you during a clerkship -- does that really ever happen anymore?

D


Half the class?

Wow, is that common for the Atlanta area? And, did the firm no-offer you because of performance/personality issues, or for financial reasons?

ClerkAdvisor
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TruckerD wrote:I am definitely curious about this too. I am in Alabama (clerkship/school were here too) and we get our bar results this week. I was planning to start at least sending out feelers once I find out whether I passed. I have struck out on getting another clerkship beginning 2014 so I am definitely trying to find a firm job.

I am not 100% sure where to start with firms though. I got an SA gig in Atlanta but they no-offered me (and half the class). I didn't have any offers here in Alabama for my 2L summer and the fact that I went out of state may prejudice those firms against me even more now. I'm basically good for anywhere in the South and would look elsewhere if I thought they would consider me. I graduated 4th at Bama, did LR and MC (Jessup), but I feel like I just didn't get very far in all my networking attempts while at school because I'm not from Alabama. In fact, I have relatively flimsy geographic connection to any specific place (moved a lot growing up), so geography has been my biggest enemy.

So if anyone has advice on how/when to apply while doing a clerkship or any specific advice for me, please let me know. Also, someone mentioned that firms would contact you during a clerkship -- does that really ever happen anymore?

D


Half the class?

Wow, is that common for the Atlanta area? And, did the firm no-offer you because of performance/personality issues, or for financial reasons?


This is getting far off topic.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:50 pm

Op here-

Agreed, please lets get back on track i.e post-clerkship job hunt (fall 2004)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:57 am

Just got a callback interview with a midsized firm -- 40-60 attorneys paying 10k below market.

The firm sent a letter to chambers. Sent the hiring partner an email and they scheduled the callback for Monday. However, I don't think this firm contradicts the general theory that most hiring happens in the spring. The firm doesn't have SA's and only recruits in the fall.

I wanted to post because there may be other firms that employ the same hiring strategy in other markets and let y'all know it may be worthwhile to reach out to those firms now. Downside being that it's hard to turn down an offer and you can't really shop around since spring hiring is the predominant practice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:47 pm

I sent out few filler emails (10) to firms in the east coast asking when to apply, and most said apply in spring. A couple (v50 firms) said to go ahead and submit my application. I submitted the apps about a week ago and have not heard anything back. Maybe they have not looked at my apps yet or I have a nice little ding mail coming (they usually email first right?). Anyways, I am thinking I might as well wait until January since most firms are not moving on these apps anyways, especially with all this budget crap not being resolved yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:09 am

I'm halfway through a 2-year district court clerkship in a large east coast city (ED Pa/D Mass). Sent my resume/transcript to arguably the biggest/best firm in the city a few weeks ago through a friend who works there. Got a call this week about scheduling an interview sometime next week or the following week. They said I'd be meeting with 5 people and then having lunch or drinks with an associate. Is this normal? I thought there would be some kind of brief screening interview first. I'm a little freaked out. Also looking for advice on how to handle the topic of getting no-offered during my 2L summer. I summered at a firm where my law school is located (Columbia/Chicago) but want to stay in my current city where my clerkship is located (and also where I am barred). Is the no-offer going to kill me? For background, I had good grades (top 1/3) but no honors or journal. I was not the only person in my summer class to get no-offered (about 1/3 of us did not get offers)..

Any advice on interviewing is appreciated!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:25 am

I am not sure if it is normal but couple of yers ago when I was a law student, I sent mass mail and got several interview from most of the big firms. With the exception of two that had screening interview at their office (one over the phone), the rest treated it as a call back even though it was my first round of interview (i.e. i met with associates and partners and lunch for 4 5 hours total). So yes, i think it is pretty normal for you to not have a screening interview first.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm halfway through a 2-year district court clerkship in a large east coast city (ED Pa/D Mass). Sent my resume/transcript to arguably the biggest/best firm in the city a few weeks ago through a friend who works there. Got a call this week about scheduling an interview sometime next week or the following week. They said I'd be meeting with 5 people and then having lunch or drinks with an associate. Is this normal? I thought there would be some kind of brief screening interview first. I'm a little freaked out. Also looking for advice on how to handle the topic of getting no-offered during my 2L summer. I summered at a firm where my law school is located (Columbia/Chicago) but want to stay in my current city where my clerkship is located (and also where I am barred). Is the no-offer going to kill me? For background, I had good grades (top 1/3) but no honors or journal. I was not the only person in my summer class to get no-offered (about 1/3 of us did not get offers)..

Any advice on interviewing is appreciated!


Based off my experience:

Will interviewers be so blunt and ask you straight "Did you get no offered from your 2L firm?"

I would think that they'd ask you, "How did you like your 2L SA?" and then you could sidestep the question by saying, "I really enjoyed it, but I'm actually looking to work in this particular location where your firm is at because of XYZ."

If they do ask you straight "did you get no offered?" I guess you could just say you really enjoyed your time, but because of financial constraints, the firm couldn't make me an offer (if that's true).

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Post-Clerkship Job hunt (Fall 2014 cycle)

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm halfway through a 2-year district court clerkship in a large east coast city (ED Pa/D Mass). Sent my resume/transcript to arguably the biggest/best firm in the city a few weeks ago through a friend who works there. Got a call this week about scheduling an interview sometime next week or the following week. They said I'd be meeting with 5 people and then having lunch or drinks with an associate. Is this normal? I thought there would be some kind of brief screening interview first. I'm a little freaked out. Also looking for advice on how to handle the topic of getting no-offered during my 2L summer. I summered at a firm where my law school is located (Columbia/Chicago) but want to stay in my current city where my clerkship is located (and also where I am barred). Is the no-offer going to kill me? For background, I had good grades (top 1/3) but no honors or journal. I was not the only person in my summer class to get no-offered (about 1/3 of us did not get offers)..

Any advice on interviewing is appreciated!

This thread might be helpful in dealing with the potential "did you get an offer?" question.




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.