AUSA as third recommender?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

AUSA as third recommender?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:43 pm

Presently starting out a BigLaw gig in DC. In a year I'll be leaving to clerk on a very competitive District Court. I'm laying the ground work for a CoA clerkship after that.

I have two profs as recommenders, but am considering ditching the third I used the first time around, who I've largely fallen out of contact with, with an AUSA I worked for in a clinic last Spring. The AUSA really really liked me and would write me a stellar letter. They also work in the District I'll be clerking in and possibly trying to get CoA in.

Is this typical/acceptable?

lolwat

Re: AUSA as third recommender?

Postby lolwat » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:48 pm

Yeah, it's pretty typical and acceptable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:45 am

lolwat wrote:Yeah, it's pretty typical and acceptable.

Anecdotal data point: I had an AUSA as a recommender and it worked out just fine.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lolwat wrote:Yeah, it's pretty typical and acceptable.

Anecdotal data point: I had an AUSA as a recommender and it worked out just fine.

Anecdotal point two: Judge interviewed me because he saw I was at the USAO and he called them to see how I did. Said he trusted AUSA's opinions on quality more than most law prawfs. Super anecdotal, but it gives you an idea that an AUSA rec probably won't hurt you on the whole. (Didn't get the job though.)

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”