writing sample

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

writing sample

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:03 pm

How disastrous is it to use a brief written for LRW during spring of 1L as a writing sample for a clerkship?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: writing sample

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:30 pm

I think that if you're applying during 2L, the 1L brief is fine - something written during 1L summer might ideally be better, but not everyone gets a decent/substantial writing sample out of their summer. And especially if you're applying January/February after first semester 2L grades are in, you probably won't have your note finished (if you're on a journal and applying to judges who might want a note). The further you get from 1L, the more I'd rather see a sample from a job you've had, but even then, if the 1L brief is your best work, then send that.

orm518

Re: writing sample

Postby orm518 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:03 pm

I was using my journal write-on competition piece for a long while until I got approval from my 2L summer employer to use a summary judgment memo as a writing sample. I got interviews from judges using it, written in like May 2012, but as soon as I got approval to use the 2L summer piece I sent that in to judges with later (august) deadlines. It's best to have as recent a piece as possible.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”