Clerk, couple years of work, then clerk again?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Clerk, couple years of work, then clerk again?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:20 pm

Hi all, so I am really enjoying my clerkship so far. I plan to work after this for a few years (I'm thinking three, four, or more years) and clerk again for a higher court.

Is this possible? Would three to four years be too long to work? I really have enjoyed clerking but I don't think I can afford non-biglaw work for another year (bills and other personal things).

What are your thoughts. Does anyone have any ideas?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Clerk, couple years of work, then clerk again?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:49 pm

I think this is possible and not unusual, though it especially makes sense if you're trying to make a transition to another job. I think a firm might look askance at a fourth year going off to clerk, then coming back (but that's speculation - and if the higher court was SCOTUS I'd imagine it doesn't apply!). But if you want some time to look for a new job, especially to get into a different area of law (e.g. firm --> private sector), clerking works well.

Otherwise I'd ask what you want to accomplish by doing a second clerkship.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:11 pm

I don't think it's a good idea unless, as A. Nony Mouse said, you're looking to transition to another job, but I imagine it's something that varies case-by-case (and firm-by-firm).

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:42 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think this is possible and not unusual, though it especially makes sense if you're trying to make a transition to another job.

Perhaps also a way to transition to another geographic area?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:55 pm

los blancos wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think this is possible and not unusual, though it especially makes sense if you're trying to make a transition to another job.

Perhaps also a way to transition to another geographic area?

Yes, definitely - I have seen people who've clerked then worked take a second clerkship as their first job moving into a new area (previous clerking experience often makes you an appealing clerk candidate).

theaccidentalclerk

Postby theaccidentalclerk » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:13 am

If the path was USDC->biglaw->COA, I'm not really even that sure that it would be a problem coming back to the same employer. You probably wouldn't get a second clerkship bonus, and you might have to take a year hit towards the partnership track (though I'd doubt it), but my guess is that most firms wouldn't have a problem with this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:38 pm

theaccidentalclerk wrote:If the path was USDC->biglaw->COA, I'm not really even that sure that it would be a problem coming back to the same employer. You probably wouldn't get a second clerkship bonus, and you might have to take a year hit towards the partnership track (though I'd doubt it), but my guess is that most firms wouldn't have a problem with this.

That's pretty much along the lines of what I'm thinking. I wanted to work for a few years before going for a COA-type "higher court" type gig because I wanted to earn some money and because I don't know if I'd have the credentials to go straight from District to COA.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”