NJ Trial Courts

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

NJ Trial Courts

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:26 pm

Anyone know what's going on with NJ trial courts? Many people have already gotten offers, yet many people have said a lot of judges won't be dealing with this until the fall.

Yobot

Re: NJ Trial Courts

Postby Yobot » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Many people have already gotten offers

What's your source?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:23 pm

Classmates that have gotten offers.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:13 pm

Wow last year I remember a lot of judges hiring really late. In the spring there were still judges taking apps.

Niddar

Postby Niddar » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:13 am

NJ Courts are following the moved up federal hiring plan this year. Accordingly, some judges are already going to have hired by now. A lot of times trial judges will interview candidates who have App Div or Supreme clerk credentials first in order to snap them up. On the other hand, some judges move more slowly (e.g. I secured an app div clerkship in October). It's not worth stressing too much right now about offers going out just yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Niddar wrote:NJ Courts are following the moved up federal hiring plan this year. Accordingly, some judges are already going to have hired by now. A lot of times trial judges will interview candidates who have App Div or Supreme clerk credentials first in order to snap them up. On the other hand, some judges move more slowly (e.g. I secured an app div clerkship in October). It's not worth stressing too much right now about offers going out just yet.

Agreed. I know some judges were still calling this week to schedule interviews. A friend of mine, who just finished clerking, suggested that there didn't seem to be much consistency at the trial level about when interviews would be conducted. Based on her knowledge (and this really only applies to the vicinage she was in), it seemed most judges were holding til after Labor Day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:31 pm

Yeah, I guess it is just hard because I've heard about a lot of people getting interviews from judges I've applied to, whereas I haven't had much luck. I can't figure out what could be the issue because I have the credentials - journal, moot court, clinic, two successful internships. I am also in the top 35% of my class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:40 am

Looks like some judges are still hiring, I received a call to setup an interview yesterday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:34 pm

Are you from NJ? How important are state ties?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Looks like some judges are still hiring, I received a call to setup an interview yesterday.

Anonymous User wrote:Are you from NJ? How important are state ties?

Anon above. I was raised and went to college in NJ, but have been out of the area for work/law school for over 6 years. Based on an interview I had, my best guess is that Jersey ties are important. The judge asked me why I was coming back to the state after being away so long. For me, I am heading home because it is where I want to establish my career and my whole family is still there. FWIW, I also accepted an offer with this same judge.

I would not say that not having ties or having weak ties is a nail in the coffin, but I think there is definitely a preference. I got the impression from both my interview and friends who have clerked in NJ that judges are looking to train clerks who will eventually practice in front of them and become active members of the state bar. NJ judges are also seeing an increase in applications over previous years (thanks terrible legal hiring climate). I think the best thing is to come up with a compelling reason for wanting to clerk in the state and preferably stick around for a few years after.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”