How Long Do I Have to Make Myself Competitive?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How Long Do I Have to Make Myself Competitive?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:47 am

I just finished my 1L year in the top 20-30% at a CCN. Didn't make journal.

My question is, how long do I have to get my grades up in order to be competitive for 2015-2016 hiring? I know the plan is basically dead, but I have no understanding of when to apply.

Anonymous User

Re: How Long Do I Have to Make Myself Competitive?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:39 pm

I am a 3L and just went through this process. I got my clerkship in like March of 2L. That was on the early side even for that cycle.

In my opinion, you have this fall semester and then should either apply as soon as fall grades come in or should apply over winter break and update when fall grades come in. You can update with spring grades if you don't have something by then (I know a few rising 3Ls who got clerkships over the summer) but you should not wait for them to apply.

Good luck.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:42 pm

Completely agree with the above.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 3L and just went through this process. I got my clerkship in like March of 2L. That was on the early side even for that cycle.

In my opinion, you have this fall semester and then should either apply as soon as fall grades come in or should apply over winter break and update when fall grades come in. You can update with spring grades if you don't have something by then (I know a few rising 3Ls who got clerkships over the summer) but you should not wait for them to apply.

Good luck.

+1

Realistically you only have 1 semester to get your grades up for most of 15-16 hiring. You may have a 2nd semester to also use for some the late hiring (read: summer) judges, but that's likely a minority of judges. Remember you can always apply to clerk as an alum at which point you will have more semesters to help you, whether you apply during 3L or after you've graduated.

legalmindedfella

Postby legalmindedfella » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:20 am

Anon, feel free to pm me, happy to give some advice - I was in a similar situation.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:35 am

If you don't already, start establishing strong contacts with some professors. Getting strong recommendations and phone calls by professors are a huge boost for applicants (especially if the professor has strong contacts with some of the judges). The only reason why I got my current clerkship was because of recommendations and phone calls on my behalf.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”