Bar expenses and switching firms

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Bar expenses and switching firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:20 am

Got an offer from my summer firm. Not sure I want to go back and plan on shopping around after I conclude my clerkship. What do people usually do in this situation? Accept and pay back the bar stipend/expenses if they switch firms? Decline the offer and pay for the bar themselves? Delay?

Anonymous User

Re: Bar expenses and switching firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:27 am

Also interested in this question.

theaccidentalclerk

Postby theaccidentalclerk » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:28 am

The new firm will probably reimburse the old firm. They're just about to pay you $150k+ and probably tens of thousands more for a clerkship bonus -- the $15k or so that the old firm is out in terms of bar prep and stipend isn't that much at the end of the day. All of that said, though, there's a chance that the new firm won't pay it back, so you should be prepared to offer to do it yourself. (Meaning try not to spend all of the stipend if possible.)

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer from my summer firm. Not sure I want to go back and plan on shopping around after I conclude my clerkship. What do people usually do in this situation? Accept and pay back the bar stipend/expenses if they switch firms? Decline the offer and pay for the bar themselves? Delay?

First, ask your judge what his/her policy is. Some judges won't let you accept firm offers until after the clerkship ends.

Next, I think the answer is delay as long as possible, then if you haven't lined up anything else, accept and plan on going back there to work. An offer is a very valuable thing to have, even for a clerk, and I wouldn't screw around with it by applying to other firms and thinking about reneging when the firm is already paying your bar expenses.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:47 am

badaboom61 wrote:First, ask your judge what his/her policy is. Some judges won't let you accept firm offers until after the clerkship ends.

I agree with this.

Next, I think the answer is delay as long as possible, then if you haven't lined up anything else, accept and plan on going back there to work. An offer is a very valuable thing to have, even for a clerk, and I wouldn't screw around with it by applying to other firms and thinking about reneging when the firm is already paying your bar expenses.

If this is suggesting a clerk shouldn't shop around while in their clerkship, I don't agree - I think it's extremely common and everyone understands it. If this means, don't turn down the offer now because you're worried about bar expenses, then I do agree - if your firm is holding the position open (or your judge lets you accept a firm offer before you clerk), I wouldn't shut any doors now. You probably will be able to find something else after the clerkship, but if for some reason you don't, or you change your mind about what you want, you'll be kicking yourself.

(Caveat: I did not personally deal with any of this because I'm not going to a firm nor did I have a firm pay my bar expenses, so it's all sort of second-hand-y.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:27 pm

Tag. In this position as well, potentially.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:53 pm

As a data point: I had to give the signing bonus/bar expenses back when I accepted my two year clerkship and didn't join immediately after graduation. Still have a standing offer from the firm, though; and I haven't talked to them about getting the signing bonus, etc. back if I end up working for them post-clerkship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Tag. In this position as well, potentially.

lol

cim_can

Postby cim_can » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:10 pm

My judge was fine with my leaving the offer from Firm A open, but I was told that I could not accept money from it.
I ended up paying for the bar exam myself. If I had gone back to Firm A, I would have asked for reimbursement, but I'm headed to another firm.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”