Mag Judge to Circuit Court?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Mag Judge to Circuit Court?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:00 pm

Does anyone know if clerks for federal magistrate judges can/do follow up their terms with clerkships at the Circuit Court level? I know some Circuit judges prefer to hire clerks with work experience-- would a clerkship with a magistrate judge generally qualify?

Anonymous User

Re: Mag Judge to Circuit Court?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:05 pm

It's possible. I have a friend who went from a magistrate judge in a competitive district to a circuit judge in a different circuit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:09 am

Anybody have any insight also into Mag clerkship to A3 judge in general or DOJ honors? Thought it would be a relevant side topic.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody have any insight also into Mag clerkship to A3 judge in general or DOJ honors? Thought it would be a relevant side topic.

I have a friend that went from Magistrate to AUSA. It happens.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody have any insight also into Mag clerkship to A3 judge in general or DOJ honors? Thought it would be a relevant side topic.

I have a friend that went from Magistrate to AUSA. It happens.

I know people who went Magistrate to Civil Division.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if clerks for federal magistrate judges can/do follow up their terms with clerkships at the Circuit Court level? I know some Circuit judges prefer to hire clerks with work experience-- would a clerkship with a magistrate judge generally qualify?

i know someone who is going from a highly regarded magistrate in a competitive district to a flyover COA.

i also know a few magistrate to district court clerks. the one i know best got her dc clerkship on the same district with the strong recommendation of her magistrate.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”