2015-2016 Clerkship Application Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: 2015-2016 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:25 pm

ph14 wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:There are a lot of SDNY judges who said they would follow "the plan." Now that there is no plan (or am I missing something?) does that make it reasonable to send applications to them now.
There's still a purported plan. It's just that, many judges are hiring before the plan. That's especially true now that 2Ls can submit applications through OSCAR instead of by snail mail.
I'm pretty sure the plan is officially defunct:

At the Working Group’s recommendation, the Hiring Plan has been eliminated. Hiring data gathered by the Administrative Office indicated that federal judges continued to abandon the Hiring Plan in FY 2013, leading the Working Group to conclude that its continuation would detract from the Judiciary’s goal of creating a transparent law clerk recruitment process.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:33 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:There are a lot of SDNY judges who said they would follow "the plan." Now that there is no plan (or am I missing something?) does that make it reasonable to send applications to them now.
There's still a purported plan. It's just that, many judges are hiring before the plan. That's especially true now that 2Ls can submit applications through OSCAR instead of by snail mail.
I'm pretty sure the plan is officially defunct:

At the Working Group’s recommendation, the Hiring Plan has been eliminated. Hiring data gathered by the Administrative Office indicated that federal judges continued to abandon the Hiring Plan in FY 2013, leading the Working Group to conclude that its continuation would detract from the Judiciary’s goal of creating a transparent law clerk recruitment process.
Oh wow. I totally missed that. Too bad they hadn't eliminated it one year earlier :lol:.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:43 pm

As far as I could tell being honest is certainly the best answer, while always emphasizing that you understand what the law is, and you will -- of course -- apply the law regardless of political/personal opinions.
I'm the poster who first mentioned the death penalty thing and I agree with this post 100%. I basically told the judge that I opposed the death penalty on moral, religious, and policy grounds, that I would apply the law as written without regard to my opinions, but that I would feel like crap for doing it. The question, and my honesty in answering it, actually led into a great discussion about the moral baggage that comes with the job. The judge I'm working for has a different view on the issue than I do, but he had no problem hiring me after the conversation.

BelugaWhale

Bronze

Post by BelugaWhale » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:52 pm

any benefit/downside to applying to judges through paper and oscar?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:24 pm

I would not apply twice, if that's what you mean - either paper or OSCAR but not both. Because if your application gets past whatever initial review they do, they'll figure out they have 2 copies and wonder what you were doing. And if they don't notice they've seen your app once already it's probably because they don't find it very interesting, so there's no help for you.

I doubt it would be an auto ding or anything, I just think it would look odd/paranoid.

(If you're asking paper or OSCAR, I'd pick paper, but it is more expensive/a hassle.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:47 pm

Thoughts on journal board positions for clerkship chances? I'm on a secondary journal (if it matters, it has a pretty generic name: journal of law and policy). I'm split between going for the lowest position that will be very light on work and gunning for EIC. Also, I'm concerned that any benefit would be mitigated by the fact that I've already applied to over 200 judges; would I just send an updated resume via paper to all of them, even OSCAR judges?

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:01 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I would not apply twice, if that's what you mean - either paper or OSCAR but not both. Because if your application gets past whatever initial review they do, they'll figure out they have 2 copies and wonder what you were doing. And if they don't notice they've seen your app once already it's probably because they don't find it very interesting, so there's no help for you.

I doubt it would be an auto ding or anything, I just think it would look odd/paranoid.

(If you're asking paper or OSCAR, I'd pick paper, but it is more expensive/a hassle.)
Along this line--I sent a paper application to a judge and it arrived on Tues. or so. Today the judge went up on OSCAR and showed a preference for OSCAR applications. Worth resending?

daleearnhardt123

Bronze

Post by daleearnhardt123 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:32 pm

Thoughts on updating judges with grades on a class you may have taken over winter break? I would think some might view this as a cheap trick to get your application back on their desk if it had previous been put on some "hold" list, but at the same time, the advantages of such a strategy could be that... you get your application back on their desk after it may have been placed on a "hold" list.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:46 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:Thoughts on updating judges with grades on a class you may have taken over winter break? I would think some might view this as a cheap trick to get your application back on their desk if it had previous been put on some "hold" list, but at the same time, the advantages of such a strategy could be that... you get your application back on their desk after it may have been placed on a "hold" list.

Not a cheap trick at all. Shows you're still interested and that you are(extremely) marginally more desirable (assuming a GPA increase).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

daleearnhardt123

Bronze

Post by daleearnhardt123 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:56 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:
daleearnhardt123 wrote:Thoughts on updating judges with grades on a class you may have taken over winter break? I would think some might view this as a cheap trick to get your application back on their desk if it had previous been put on some "hold" list, but at the same time, the advantages of such a strategy could be that... you get your application back on their desk after it may have been placed on a "hold" list.

Not a cheap trick at all. Shows you're still interested and that you are(extremely) marginally more desirable (assuming a GPA increase).
Current/past clerk? Also, would your response be the same assuming no GPA movement (i.e. an A- for a student with about an A- average) or even a marginal decrease (i.e. B+ for student with A- average)?

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:02 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:

Current/past clerk? Also, would your response be the same assuming no GPA movement (i.e. an A- for a student with about an A- average) or even a marginal decrease (i.e. B+ for student with A- average)?
Current clerk. As long as it isn't something that would dramatically reduce your odds of being selected (read: a substantially lower grade), then I think it's fine to submit it. Just make sure you include a brief cover letter stating you've already applied and just want to make your application as current as possible.

olive16

Bronze

Post by olive16 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:00 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I would not apply twice, if that's what you mean - either paper or OSCAR but not both.
Half agree, half disagree. If you sent a paper application, and then, sometime later, the judge popped up on OSCAR and indicated a preference for online hiring, I would reapply through OSCAR.

But there's no reason to send a paper application and an OSCAR application at the same time. That would look strange.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Along this line--I sent a paper application to a judge and it arrived on Tues. or so. Today the judge went up on OSCAR and showed a preference for OSCAR applications. Worth resending?
Seconded. Any thoughts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Along this line--I sent a paper application to a judge and it arrived on Tues. or so. Today the judge went up on OSCAR and showed a preference for OSCAR applications. Worth resending?
Seconded. Any thoughts?
didnt anon address this above?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Seconded. Any thoughts?
didnt anon address this above?
Somehow missed olive16's post. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:47 pm

Typically how many district court clerkship interviews have people been offered so far?

I realize this is seeking an answer which is nuanced based on someone's choice districts, credentials, etc. That said, I got two calls for interviews last week (my only two this far) in mildly competitive districts and was curious if this is signifying that things are picking up and I can expect more or if this is the tail end of the timeframe. I'm kind of a low-end/middle of the road candidate (cum laude, non-LR grad from MVP currently working in NYC biglaw), so I just have no sense of where I stand for anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Typically how many district court clerkship interviews have people been offered so far?

I realize this is seeking an answer which is nuanced based on someone's choice districts, credentials, etc. That said, I got two calls for interviews last week (my only two this far) in mildly competitive districts and was curious if this is signifying that things are picking up and I can expect more or if this is the tail end of the timeframe. I'm kind of a low-end/middle of the road candidate (cum laude, non-LR grad from MVP currently working in NYC biglaw), so I just have no sense of where I stand for anything.
Self-bump because I'm very curious.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Typically how many district court clerkship interviews have people been offered so far?

Self-bump because I'm very curious.
Since you're anonymous you might as well just say what districts you're targeting. It's impossible to say based on the incredibly vague information you're giving.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:29 pm

I only applied to certain NDCA, NDIL, and SDNY judges (about 2-3 weeks ago). So far, three interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:45 am

Re: District Courts

Top of class at mid-range T1, LR e-board, interesting pre-law school work experience - targeted C.D. Cal., N.D. Cal., N.D. Ill., S.D.N.Y., D. Mass., D.D.C. and some more flyover type districts where I have ties and family. So far, no surprise, crickets from the super competitive places, and one interview offer from a flyover.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:I only applied to certain NDCA, NDIL, and SDNY judges (about 2-3 weeks ago). So far, three interviews.
I honestly don't mean this to be snarky, I'm just curious: if these are "mildly competitive" districts, which are the competitive ones?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:16 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I only applied to certain NDCA, NDIL, and SDNY judges (about 2-3 weeks ago). So far, three interviews.
I honestly don't mean this to be snarky, I'm just curious: if these are "mildly competitive" districts, which are the competitive ones?
Not the same OP. Obviously the above poster has applied to the three most challenging districts. I am the original poster who used said I had applied to mildly competitive places. I've applied up and down the east and west coast. Have heard back from two courts in districts like EDNY, EDPA, DNJ, and DMass.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on journal board positions for clerkship chances? I'm on a secondary journal (if it matters, it has a pretty generic name: journal of law and policy). I'm split between going for the lowest position that will be very light on work and gunning for EIC. Also, I'm concerned that any benefit would be mitigated by the fact that I've already applied to over 200 judges; would I just send an updated resume via paper to all of them, even OSCAR judges?

Thanks.
If you're not a strong candidate for a clerkship based on grades alone, and you're intent on clerking, I'd do everything you can to better your chances.

I had middling grades from a middling school. I was EIC of a secondary because of said middling grades. I miraculously got a clerkship (albeit in a "specialty court"). The judge told me she liked "seeing the initiative" of being EIC, asked about the management it required, etc. So, it helped, but I can't gauge how much it helped, really.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Not the same OP. Obviously the above poster has applied to the three most challenging districts. I am the original poster who used said I had applied to mildly competitive places. I've applied up and down the east and west coast. Have heard back from two courts in districts like EDNY, EDPA, DNJ, and DMass.
Ah, sorry, I got confused by the multiple anons. Never mind.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:56 pm

Have heard D. Conn. has collectively decided to not hire until June, btw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”