2015-2016 Clerkship Application Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Arbiter213

Gold

Re: 2015-2016 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
He's already interviewing for the remaining spots? How do you have such detailed info?
Possible they're UChicago students- they send an email to the entire student body when people land interviews, and with who (or something like that).
I'd be surprised if UChicago students were getting told something as detailed as the judge "paused" his hiring "while the dean search process unfolded."
I misunderstood the level of detail in question.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Did you happen to get contacted by his chambers recently?

Well, maybe more anonymous than expected! I was contacted from his chambers last week. It seemed somewhat personalized (i.e. didn't look like a mass message.) Maybe it was a generic email after all?
Interview invitation?

Nope! I was basically asked if I was still available (I had applied last semester) and to update my app.

I've had this happen before and that's usually followed by an interview invitation a day or two later after my response.

This time, however, nada. So maybe it was just a generic email to anyone that applied early?
Any other movement from Wallace?

gags12

New

Post by gags12 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:43 pm

Did anyone apply to the new Chancellor, Bouchard? And if so, has anyone heard anything back?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:12 am

Bouchard hasn't been approved by the legislature yet...that would be a bit premature at this point

gags12

New

Post by gags12 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bouchard hasn't been approved by the legislature yet...that would be a bit premature at this point
Granted, but there won't be a ton of time between confirmation by the legislature and when he begins. As a result, if he wants to have clerks when he starts, you would think he would need to start the process very soon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:06 pm

gags12 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bouchard hasn't been approved by the legislature yet...that would be a bit premature at this point
Granted, but there won't be a ton of time between confirmation by the legislature and when he begins. As a result, if he wants to have clerks when he starts, you would think he would need to start the process very soon.
I'm clerking for a judge who had ~5 weeks to get everything up and running post-confirmation. The judge had us clerks interviewed and hired within a week of confirmation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:15 pm

I suppose. Where would you send the application? To Bouchard's law firm?

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:44 pm

Did anyone else get a rejection email from Judge Thrash in the ND of Georgia? I never interviewed with him, but got one just now. Was just wondering if the rejection email meant I had been on some kind of shortlist (although, clearly not short enough) or if it was just an email everyone got.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:34 pm

Hey is there any way to see who used to clerk for a judge? Applying to a judge in C.D. Cal, but I'm from UT. I know he/she hasnt hired from us before, but was wondering if s/he has hired from similar schools out of state (Vandy or maybe gtown or GW or something)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey is there any way to see who used to clerk for a judge? Applying to a judge in C.D. Cal, but I'm from UT. I know he/she hasnt hired from us before, but was wondering if s/he has hired from similar schools out of state (Vandy or maybe gtown or GW or something)
Google "Judge ABC & XYZ law school." A lot of firm bios list clerkships and schools (though some you have to click a plus sign or something so I'm not sure if that will show up on a search).

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey is there any way to see who used to clerk for a judge? Applying to a judge in C.D. Cal, but I'm from UT. I know he/she hasnt hired from us before, but was wondering if s/he has hired from similar schools out of state (Vandy or maybe gtown or GW or something)
Google (since it indexes firm bios which usually have clerkships listed) and LinkedIn are your best bets. Using C.D. Cal's chief judge as an example:

LinkedIn search for "judge george h. king" nets 4 clerks and 1 extern.
Google search for "'judge george h. king' clerk" nets 1 clerk on the first page of results and 1 clerk on the second page and probably more if you keep going further (there's a lot of filler in the Google results so you're gonna have to scan through a bunch of pages since they may be buried).

You can also try other search terms of course but I found that appending judge and searching for a name both with and without the middle initial was the best bet.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:22 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:Did anyone else get a rejection email from Judge Thrash in the ND of Georgia? I never interviewed with him, but got one just now. Was just wondering if the rejection email meant I had been on some kind of shortlist (although, clearly not short enough) or if it was just an email everyone got.
I doubt it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:26 pm

anon UT poster...thanks guys good idea. Somehow it slipped my mind that like 90% of fed clerks are probably at big firms

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:11 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:Did anyone else get a rejection email from Judge Thrash in the ND of Georgia? I never interviewed with him, but got one just now. Was just wondering if the rejection email meant I had been on some kind of shortlist (although, clearly not short enough) or if it was just an email everyone got.
I got one too (on 4/11) and my app was submitted on 4/7, so I doubt there was any sort of short list. My guess is that he just blasted the rejection to everyone who applied on OSCAR before marking the position "filled."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:43 pm

Does anyone have any information on CDCA judges that are good/should be avoided for various reasons?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any information on CDCA judges that are good/should be avoided for various reasons?
Stephen Wilson is crazy. Like actually nuts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any information on CDCA judges that are good/should be avoided for various reasons?
There are a few landmines in CDCA. Although I hesitate to name names, there seems to be something of a consensus regarding Judge Real, who has a poor reputation among both lawyers and judges. He could be the nicest judge in the world to clerk for, but "incompetent" is the kindest adjective I've heard used to describe him.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There are a few landmines in CDCA. Although I hesitate to name names
I second this. There are a few judges who work people notoriously hard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:16 pm

There are a few landmines in CDCA. Although I hesitate to name names, there seems to be something of a consensus regarding Judge Real, who has a poor reputation among both lawyers and judges. He could be the nicest judge in the world to clerk for, but "incompetent" is the kindest adjective I've heard used to describe him.
I have heard that clerking for Real could actually hurt your resume.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:42 pm

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:25 pm

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but how are magistrate clerkships looked at by employers? Particularly curious about firms and USAO. Is it a big step down, but better than not clerking for a fed judge at all?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:50 am

Random question for those who have applied already: I know the standard is 3 recommendations, but are there any circuit judges that want 4 letters of recommendation? Alternatively, are there any times when adding a 4th recommendation might be beneficial? I had a fourth professor spontaneously tell me that he wants to write a letter for me, but I don't know if I'd have any need for it.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:41 am

Doorkeeper wrote:Random question for those who have applied already: I know the standard is 3 recommendations, but are there any circuit judges that want 4 letters of recommendation? Alternatively, are there any times when adding a 4th recommendation might be beneficial? I had a fourth professor spontaneously tell me that he wants to write a letter for me, but I don't know if I'd have any need for it.
In my chambers it wouldn't hurt you, but unless that 4th letter is a real standout, it isn't going to help you either. Maybe ask the prof to make calls for you instead? At this late in the game, you'll need all the help you can get.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:18 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Random question for those who have applied already: I know the standard is 3 recommendations, but are there any circuit judges that want 4 letters of recommendation? Alternatively, are there any times when adding a 4th recommendation might be beneficial? I had a fourth professor spontaneously tell me that he wants to write a letter for me, but I don't know if I'd have any need for it.
Would the fourth letter be added to an application you've already submitted? Or are you still preparing your initial application? If it's the latter, and if you have reason to think that this fourth letter will be better than one you already have, I suggest replacing the weakest of your existing letters with the new one.

In my chambers (non-feeder COA), I find that it's very unusual to have three excellent letters. Usually, one or two are helpful in that they go into a lot of individualistic detail about the applicant. But it seems like there's always at least one rec that looks like it was prepared using a professor's letter-of-rec template; the professor just mentions the student's fine exam performance and the student's thoughtful contributions during class discussion. These letters are largely useless, even if the professor is well-known and prestigious.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would the fourth letter be added to an application you've already submitted? Or are you still preparing your initial application? If it's the latter, and if you have reason to think that this fourth letter will be better than one you already have, I suggest replacing the weakest of your existing letters with the new one.

In my chambers (non-feeder COA), I find that it's very unusual to have three excellent letters. Usually, one or two are helpful in that they go into a lot of individualistic detail about the applicant. But it seems like there's always at least one rec that looks like it was prepared using a professor's letter-of-rec template; the professor just mentions the student's fine exam performance and the student's thoughtful contributions during class discussion. These letters are largely useless, even if the professor is well-known and prestigious.
Thanks for this. It would be for the initial application. I can definitely say that none of my letters will be as you describe the unhelpful letters, as I've taken multiple classes with all recommenders and have done supervised writing or research work with most of them. With this being said, I wonder the value of another letter saying similar qualities as the other three letters, as they would all be from professors.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”