2015-2016 Clerkship Application Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2015-2016 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
station4 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got a rejection by e-mail literally 30 minutes after the interview. I knew it didn't go well but I didn't think it was THAT bad.
Brutal, man. Sorry. This is a tough process.
Oof. At least you don't have to spend weeks wondering. Sometimes it's just not a good fit, you know? That's what I tell myself :)
It definitely was not. The position is showing as "Filled" on OSCAR, so he may have filled before I even got there. I didn't expect an offer, but it would have been nice if he'd delayed the rejection until tomorrow, at least to make it appear like he thought about it a little.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a rejection by e-mail literally 30 minutes after the interview. I knew it didn't go well but I didn't think it was THAT bad.
I had a judge tell me at the end of the interview something to the tune of "well, you're probably a good lawyer, but I get a ton of applicants and you're not a good one for me." Rejected before I even left Chambers. It really sucks. That was my second interview for '14-'15. I did get a clerkship eventually. You got the interview -- you clearly have something that judges value enough to call you in on. Keep going.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I had a judge tell me at the end of the interview something to the tune of "well, you're probably a good lawyer, but I get a ton of applicants and you're not a good one for me." Rejected before I even left Chambers. It really sucks. That was my second interview for '14-'15. I did get a clerkship eventually. You got the interview -- you clearly have something that judges value enough to call you in on. Keep going.
Damn. I didn't think I was golden when he walked me to the antechamber to see me out and literally said, "There's the door." I was honestly aghast. I'm not sure if he thought I was confused and didn't know where it was (we were standing right in front of it), or if he was really that tired of pleasantries, or if I had totally offended him at some point. Maybe he's just rude.

I have other interviews, but that one was a bit discouraging.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:31 am

Has anyone noticed recently that the OSCAR "filled"/"expired" rate seems to have slowed down over the past couple of weeks? Maybe it's just me. My own pet theory about this is that we are in between an "early" period of appellate/SDNY and a "late" period of everyone else.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:35 pm

Any tips on updating paper applications with new grades? Do you write a new cover letter explaining what's going on and just mail it and a new transcript? Do you have to use nice paper for the cover letter? Any advice appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:22 pm

Thinking of using a second writing sample. It's an appeal letter I'm very proud of that I worked on in a pro bono organization. My arguments were entirely my own (and were creative.) Also, the letter resulted in a big win for my client (who was an impoverished community member denied benefits.) it's something I'd love to talk about in interviews and the writing is particularly good for me.

The hitch is that it was edited by my supervisor in the pro bono project very slightly. He read my first draft and fixed a couple of typos (literally like 3) and suggested I add another case or two in one section. Is it still kosher to use it as my sample?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:07 pm

I've used edited writing samples for jobs and clerkships and added a disclaimer--something like "this was edited by others for mechanical changes only and is substantively my own work." I think as long as you disclose that it was edited, you're fine.

dannynoonan87

Bronze

Post by dannynoonan87 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: writing samples

I saw in another thread that "judges want something 10-15 pp."

Is that true? I have always heard that they want something "short." Mine is a full 6 pp.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:30 pm

District court clerk here. Six pages seems pretty short to me. I don't think it would be a problem, though. At the most, if interested, we might ask you for something else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Just to provide some weight on the other side, I used my entire note (not knowing any better) for my writing sample for both my COA and District court judges and neither had any apparent negative reaction to it.

That's an anecdote but...I got the feeling they probably will just read what they want to read and ask you questions to elucidate the rest if they feel like it

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:53 pm

If the 6-pager is the best sample you have, then use it and don't worry, but I think 10-15 is pretty common (maybe closer to 10 than 15).

magicdonquan

New

Post by magicdonquan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:12 pm

Some judges on OSCAR have ‘email’ as their only application method. Anyone know how to go about getting recommendation letters submitted through this process?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:14 pm

magicdonquan wrote:Some judges on OSCAR have ‘email’ as their only application method. Anyone know how to go about getting recommendation letters submitted through this process?
Presumably you also have your recommendations emailed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

magicdonquan

New

Post by magicdonquan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:17 pm

ph14 wrote:
magicdonquan wrote:Some judges on OSCAR have ‘email’ as their only application method. Anyone know how to go about getting recommendation letters submitted through this process?

Presumably...I only ask since my school seems to be pretty strict about students not reading the letters. Anyhow, thanks!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:21 pm

magicdonquan wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Presumably...I only ask since my school seems to be pretty strict about students not reading the letters. Anyhow, thanks!
You can ask your recommender or their assistant to email the recommendations.

dannynoonan87

Bronze

Post by dannynoonan87 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:23 pm

Thanks, all

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:46 pm

Since a lot (or some?) of Circuit judges are already done hiring for 2016- and 2017-, would Class of 2016 and 2017 be the "forgotten" class for Circuit gig?

I heard incoming 2Ls can apply for judges beginning on August 1st.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:54 pm

Jchance wrote:Since a lot (or some?) of Circuit judges are already done hiring for 2016- and 2017-, would Class of 2016 and 2017 be the "forgotten" class for Circuit gig?

I heard incoming 2Ls can apply for judges beginning on August 1st.
I doubt it will be a dramatic shift. For many judges, you'll probably just have the same thing that happened to us and end up having to apply for a year after you graduate and fill the year. Some judges still don't hire multiple years in advance. It is part of the ongoing shift towards judges hiring alums and not grads right out of school though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:00 pm

Anyone heard of any movement at the district court level? (im in the 4th cir fwiw)

All the judges I've applied to appear to be simply sitting on the applications (no one I've talked to has heard anything). I'm confused as to why judges would say "apply now" if they don't actually intend to hire anyone anytime soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard of any movement at the district court level? (im in the 4th cir fwiw)

All the judges I've applied to appear to be simply sitting on the applications (no one I've talked to has heard anything). I'm confused as to why judges would say "apply now" if they don't actually intend to hire anyone anytime soon.
I've had a couple interviews and have a couple more scheduled for the summer; I've also gotten responses from a few judges saying they've filled their spots. There's definitely movement, although none of that was in the 4th circuit that I can remember. I've also gotten a fair number of "won't consider until summer" as well, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I've had a couple interviews and have a couple more scheduled for the summer; I've also gotten responses from a few judges saying they've filled their spots. There's definitely movement, although none of that was in the 4th circuit that I can remember. I've also gotten a fair number of "won't consider until summer" as well, though.

I assume there's movement somewhere, especially in the more competitive areas--guess I'm really only interested in the 4th cir d.ct's which is a much more narrow group.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I've had a couple interviews and have a couple more scheduled for the summer; I've also gotten responses from a few judges saying they've filled their spots. There's definitely movement, although none of that was in the 4th circuit that I can remember. I've also gotten a fair number of "won't consider until summer" as well, though.

I assume there's movement somewhere, especially in the more competitive areas--guess I'm really only interested in the 4th cir d.ct's which is a much more narrow group.
Which districts? I know EDVa and DMd judges have interviewed and hired.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I had a DMD interview, was thinking of them as 3rd for some reason.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard of any movement at the district court level? (im in the 4th cir fwiw)

I spoke with a judge here in Texas the other day who had asked for applications at the beginning of March (he happened to be on campus for another reason). He said that he had wanted to interview this month but that March is apparently when they have to prepare data/reports to pass up the chain and thus all free time this month was spent doing that.

Obviously not 4th, but that may not be an isolated situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote: Which districts? I know EDVa and DMd judges have interviewed and hired.
Anonymous User wrote: I had a DMD interview, was thinking of them as 3rd for some reason.
Which judges if you don't mind me asking (also what are your stats)? I assume Motz was interviewing (didn't apply to him though).

I applied to a few of the d.md judges and havent heard anything so I am starting to think I got dinged.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”