When am I supposed to start applying for jobs?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

When am I supposed to start applying for jobs?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:07 am

I am about to start my year-long federal clerkship, and I'm not 100% sure yet what I want to do afterwards. I am lucky enough to have a couple of job offers for afterwards, but am not entirely sold on either of them. My interests are fairly broad, and I'm going to be looking at both PI and firm positions.

Anyway, my question is this: other than jobs that are posted now or have specific deadlines, when should I start applying? When does post-clerkship hiring generally happen?

Any advice would be appreciated.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: When am I supposed to start applying for jobs?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:25 am

Most people I know who didn't have jobs waiting for post-clerkship really got started searching around February-March. They got positions anywhere between March and the very end of August. (This was a small-ish market, so I don't know how generalizable it is.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:35 am

Anyone have experience with off-schedule clerskhips- think December-December? I don't want to start looking too early, but I aslo don't want to miss clerkship hiring "season."

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:41 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Most people I know who didn't have jobs waiting for post-clerkship really got started searching around February-March. They got positions anywhere between March and the very end of August. (This was a small-ish market, so I don't know how generalizable it is.)

That's interesting, and later than I would have guessed. Does anyone have info for people looking in major markets?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have experience with off-schedule clerskhips- think December-December? I don't want to start looking too early, but I aslo don't want to miss clerkship hiring "season."

When is that season?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:48 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Most people I know who didn't have jobs waiting for post-clerkship really got started searching around February-March. They got positions anywhere between March and the very end of August. (This was a small-ish market, so I don't know how generalizable it is.)

That's interesting, and later than I would have guessed. Does anyone have info for people looking in major markets?

My understanding was that searching earlier, it's harder for firms to know their requirements (plus, they know you can't start till the fall, anyway, so they don't have much incentive to hire earlier). But again, it's just one anecdote.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:02 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have experience with off-schedule clerskhips- think December-December? I don't want to start looking too early, but I aslo don't want to miss clerkship hiring "season."

When is that season?

Other clerks I've known that are on August/September start dates usually start looking Jan-Mar. But I also wonder how they'll look at someone starting to look so early of if they won't want to start someone a year after the interview.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:08 pm

I can't answer for PI jobs, but firm positions, A. Nony Mouse's answer is pretty spot on, as usual. :) My experience is the following:

Broadly speaking, firms almost universally seem to have two policies.

First, many firms (particularly bigger firms in bigger markets, or very high-end boutiques) generally accept applications from clerks between January and April and will interview you if they have room or think you're good enough to make room for. Most of these firms will note when you should apply, but there is some variation. Williams & Connolly and Kellogg Huber said January; Munger, Irell, Susman, Gibson Dunn DC said to submit whenever; Keker's website either says January or February (but it's on there); SullCrom's website says Spring (which typially means around March-April). When in doubt, it's usually between January and April.

However, that being said, things can change quickly for smaller boutiques if you're interested in those. Someone they expected to come in this year might have taken a clerkship. They might have lost a junior-level associate two weeks ago for whatever reason. I think all you can really do is either apply or e-mail them inquiring as to whether they're recruiting (which is basically applying, anyway), and hope for the best.

Second, many firms accept applications from clerks only for open positions. Most notably that I can remember, Arnold & Porter and Alston & Bird do this. Hunton & Williams, I think, states that you can either apply for specific openings OR send in a general-consideration resume, but I'm not totally sure. These positions are generally noted on their website as the opening will say something like "Judicial Clerkship Preferred/Required" when the posting is for a junior-level associate. Obviously you just apply to these as they come up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:18 pm

Also very interested in this.

Postby 20160810 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:27 pm

This is credited. I began applying after I passed the bar but firms basically all told me some version of "come back later"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:27 am

Does anyone have any experience applying for jobs while having an open offer? The firm said the offer will stay open until the clerkship ends, but I'd imagine they would be pretty annoyed if I wait until March/April to accept.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any experience applying for jobs while having an open offer? The firm said the offer will stay open until the clerkship ends, but I'd imagine they would be pretty annoyed if I wait until March/April to accept.

Some judges don't let you accept an offer during the clerkship, so some offers have to stay open, and firms should understand that. You should check with your judge (if you have already, of course, ignore me!).

aliens

Postby aliens » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:13 pm

I am an outgoing term clerk this August. I started searching over a year ago and just accepted an offer a firm today. I don't think you can get your name out there too early but it may take a while to get interviews and offers depending on the hiring needs of firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Regarding offers from major firms in major markets, how much weight does a 9th Circuit COA clerkship carry?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Regarding offers from major firms in major markets, how much weight does a 9th Circuit COA clerkship carry?

I assume most 9th Circuit clerks get to write their own tickets in any major market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Regarding offers from major firms in major markets, how much weight does a 9th Circuit COA clerkship carry?

Is this a serious question?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”