Is this okay to mention in an interview with a judge?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Is this okay to mention in an interview with a judge?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:32 pm

I have an upcoming interview with a judge. His wife is also a judge, and she's heard two motions I've been involved in and I met her briefly (doubt she remembers me though). She had recently been appointed and I liked her more than her replacement because she was more sympathetic to our clients. Is it advisable to mention this as a way to build rapport/familiarity?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Is this okay to mention in an interview with a judge?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:52 pm

I think it's fine to say you've met the judge's wife (if you can work it into the conversation naturally). I would not say you like her because she's more sympathetic to your clients - it might sound like you're suggesting she's not impartial, or like you're criticizing her predecessor, neither of which are a very good way to go. (If the judge starts going in that direction - asking you what you thought of her predecessor, which would be unlikely - you can decide how to handle it, but it's best to avoid negativity/criticism.)

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:53 am

I think it's fine to say you've met the judge's wife (if you can work it into the conversation naturally). I would not say you like her because she's more sympathetic to your clients - it might sound like you're suggesting she's not impartial, or like you're criticizing her predecessor, neither of which are a very good way to go. (If the judge starts going in that direction - asking you what you thought of her predecessor, which would be unlikely - you can decide how to handle it, but it's best to avoid negativity/criticism.)

Yeah, this. Be careful and diplomatic. Don't mention the clients thing. Say that you like her because she's nice and respectful and pleasant to appear before or something similar, but don't imply that her predecessor wasn't. And in fact, don't bring up the predecessor judge at all, there's just no reason to. If the judge you're interviewing does, then also be entirely diplomatic about it. If the judge has anything bad to say, let him be the one to say it... not you. (I mean, some judges have kind of a reputation among their colleagues, so it's entirely possible that your judge's wife's predecessor wasn't universally liked. Just don't be the one to bring it up and move away from that topic ASAP if possible if it does come up.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:13 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, makes sense!

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”