Just curious: how do you tell others what you do?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Just curious: how do you tell others what you do?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:20 pm

I gave my judge rides to the airport and picked his mail up while he was on vacation. A lot of clerks do this kind of stuff and it's not a biggie. So if people think you're kind of like an administrative assistant who helps out with research and writing, well, those people might be absolutely right. If that's not preftigious enough for you, get another job.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:51 am

Anonymous User wrote: I just thought it was funny how little the public knows about what clerks do, or that clerks even exist.

I honestly had no idea clerks existed until the lawl school application process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:32 am

"senior staff to a federal judge"

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:33 pm

If my mother knew how to use the Internet, I would almost wonder if this was her trying to figure out how to brag better, since she is much more concerned with this type of shit than I am.

Family Member/Random Person: What are you doing after law school?
Me: Oh, I'll be working for a judge for a year.
Mother: She'll be working for a FEDERAL judge. Those positions are VERY hard to get. Federal judges are appointed by the PRESIDENT.

And it goes on.

Solution for the OP: when you're talking to all of these super important people who you want to think you're preftigious, just walk around with my mother.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:If my mother knew how to use the Internet, I would almost wonder if this was her trying to figure out how to brag better, since she is much more concerned with this type of shit than I am.

Family Member/Random Person: What are you doing after law school?
Me: Oh, I'll be working for a judge for a year.
Mother: She'll be working for a FEDERAL judge. Those positions are VERY hard to get. Federal judges are appointed by the PRESIDENT.

And it goes on.

Solution for the OP: when you're talking to all of these super important people who you want to think you're preftigious, just walk around with my mother.

Sorry but if your mom didn't make you a prayer meme in MS Paint, she's not actually proud.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:14 pm

I have gotten faces of pity when I tell people I'll be a clerk for a judge. (That think clerk = secretary). Then they feel even more sorry for me when they ask me how long the job is for, and I tell them one year. In their minds, they basically think I'm a temp secretary for a judge. I guess it's not that I'm obsessed with prestige, but it's that I just want people to have at least a somewhat accurate view of what I'll do. Oh well.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:29 pm

"I'm a law clerk. Don't worry, it's very prestigious. In fact, it means I graduated at the top of my law school class."

Just do that.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:34 pm

"i'm a law clerk for X court, there are Z thousand applicants for every spot and Y out of 10 harvard/yale/stanford law students can't get this gig, the signing bonus at all major firms is W00k after i'm done, and i only have to work 40 hours a week watching the best lawyers argue big ticket cases while writing federal court opinions. any more questions?" emphasize "law clerk." makes all the other stuff even more badass if you have a plebe sounding title. you think the secretary of state is ashamed that they aren't called the senior partner/vp of state?

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:17 am

I usually tell non-laywers that I am the briefing attorney for the judge. Then I tell them what I actually do and they seem to understand. Once you identify yourself as a law clerk, people automatically associate you as a secretary or intern.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:30 pm

I don't feel anything more than "I'm a lawyer and I work for a judge" is necessary.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:52 pm

I know a guy who works at Oracle. When I asked him what Oracle was, he got really offended.

Needless to say, he's a pretty lonely guy.

Don't be that guy.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:47 am

Last edited by bruinfan10 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:40 pm

I have a similar problem. When I first got a full-time offer, I told people I was working there. Then I got accepted into a clerkship, and now the same people ask me, "Why would you turn down a full-time offer to work in a temp position?" I try to explain, but some of them still think I'm an idiot for "turning down" a full-time offer. Meh.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a similar problem. When I first got a full-time offer, I told people I was working there. Then I got accepted into a clerkship, and now the same people ask me, "Why would you turn down a full-time offer to work in a temp position?" I try to explain, but some of them still think I'm an idiot for "turning down" a full-time offer. Meh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:09 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a similar problem. When I first got a full-time offer, I told people I was working there. Then I got accepted into a clerkship, and now the same people ask me, "Why would you turn down a full-time offer to work in a temp position?" I try to explain, but some of them still think I'm an idiot for "turning down" a full-time offer. Meh.

I know, I know. Sorry, wrong word choice. I'm very thankful to have a job, too. My "problem" is more of a white/rich person's problem.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:58 am

I hate explaining what I do. I haven't passed the bar yet, so when someone asks me what I do my answer is always something like "I work for a judge. I just graduated law school and I'll be a lawyer soon hopefully, assuming I passed the bar."

I should just tell them "I'm a lawyer." Way easier, a little misleading but whatever.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I know, I know. Sorry, wrong word choice. I'm very thankful to have a job, too. My "problem" is more of a white/rich person's problem.

Why do you care?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:32 am

dr123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Why do you care?

Because like many of my fellow law students, I'm a petty little bitch. Capisce?

insideman

Postby insideman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:29 am

To someone I dont know/non-lawyer: "I work for a Judge"
To someone I know is a lawyer: "I'm a clerk"
Pretty simple

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:25 pm

insideman wrote:To someone I dont know/non-lawyer: "I work for a Judge"
To someone I know is a lawyer: "I'm a clerk"
Pretty simple

To a deadite: "I'm a Chinese Jet Pilot."

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:13 pm

Can we at least all agree that this thread was probably the most annoying/douchey thread at the Judicial Clerkships forum?

PS: OP, your father does not sound like a good man (to say the least)... though most likely, you just made up that scenario out of thin air so you can ask this question.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:29 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:I know a guy who works at Oracle. When I asked him what Oracle was, he got really offended.

Needless to say, he's a pretty lonely guy.

Don't be that guy.

Who doesn't know what Oracle is??

Didn't say I didn't know what it was. It's just that he's mentioned it so many times to my friend who went surfing with him. My friend told me about it so when I met this guy, of course he'd mention in a conversation he worked there. Hence, my line. It was like that scene in the Office when Ryan asked Andy, "Where'd you go to school again?"

It was really worth it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:06 pm

Complete strangers who are asking me for some reason (e.g., elevator conversations): I work for the government.

Typical social situations: I work for a judge which means I just help him do his judge stuff and it's great how about that fucking game/can you believe this weather/did you see that latest movie/I heard you're doing something remotely interesting that's not law-related?

Friends/Family: I'm a judicial law clerk which is pretty baller and it makes me happy I basically help a judge do his thing. It's cool, trust me.

Friends/Family who insist on more detail: I'm the judge's lawyer -- I basically sift through all the bullshit and tell him what's what for the cases that he has to resolve so that he can resolve them properly as he sees fit.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:48 am

I like the above anon's approach. Well-played!

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Complete strangers who are asking me for some reason (e.g., elevator conversations): I work for the government.

Typical social situations: I work for a judge which means I just help him do his judge stuff and it's great how about that fucking game/can you believe this weather/did you see that latest movie/I heard you're doing something remotely interesting that's not law-related?

Friends/Family: I'm a judicial law clerk which is pretty baller and it makes me happy I basically help a judge do his thing. It's cool, trust me.

Friends/Family who insist on more detail: I'm the judge's lawyer -- I basically sift through all the bullshit and tell him what's what for the cases that he has to resolve so that he can resolve them properly as he sees fit.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”