Just curious: how do you tell others what you do? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Just curious: how do you tell others what you do?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:20 pm

For all you law clerks out there, how do you tell other non-lawyers what you do exactly? I tried telling even my own dad about what I did. He was like, "law clerk?? Oh, that doesn't sound too good at all, son, sorry." I tried to explain to him that it was a great job, but he couldn't get past the job title. He pretty much thinks I'm filing papers and shuffling around folders for some hokey judge.

During casual conversations and dinner parties and whatever, how do you tell people what you do? Are you unlike me and not so concerned about how other people perceive you, so you just say "I'm a law clerk to a judge"? Do you give a quick snappy answer that doesn't understate what you do? Just curious.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Just curious: how do you tell others what you do?

Post by bk1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:23 pm

Why do you care?

This strikes me the same as SAs trying to explain to people what a "summer associate" is so that they can sound important. Just tell people you're an intern at a law firm so that they understand.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:24 pm

Haha, I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, but I've come across the same issue. My dad explained to my extended family members at a recent gathering that I'll be starting out as a secretary after law school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:27 pm

"I work for a federal judge. I help him research issues that come up in his cases and sometimes help him with his opinions."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:05 pm

bk187 wrote:Why do you care?

This strikes me the same as SAs trying to explain to people what a "summer associate" is so that they can sound important. Just tell people you're an intern at a law firm so that they understand.
Because I am admittedly "concerned about how other people perceive" me. Just being honest with it. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's copped the same mental. Clerks are fairly pro-active type A types from law school, and we're more likely than the average cat to be obsessed with dat prestige and want to make sure we let others know about it too.

I spoke with some other classmates at my T14 and some feel similarly, too. Not saying it's right, but it is what it is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:10 pm

"I'm a lawyer."
"What kind of law do you practice?"
"I work for a judge, so I do all kinds of law."
(People who've heard of law clerks then usually say, Are you a law clerk? and I say yes.)

Jurors have asked me what I do, and since they're in the courtroom and obviously know I work for the judge, I tell them that I help the judge research legal issues.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:11 pm

If you care that much, then it's probably a good lesson in humility that you struggle to convey the supposed prestige of your job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:20 pm

Just say, "I get paid with your tax dollars to surf the web and check Facebook. All day. Everyday. Occasionally I glance at CNN if I am feeling particularly productive. Thanks. I guess."

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:25 am

"I'm a lawyer."
"What kind of law do you practice?"
"I work for a judge, so I do all kinds of law."
I pretty much do this now too. "I'm a lawyer, but right now I work for a judge." I talk to so many people who have no idea what lawyers are/do besides criminal and traffic ticket/DUI.
If you care that much, then it's probably a good lesson in humility that you struggle to convey the supposed prestige of your job.
Eh, why? I'm not overly concerned with prestige, but when I've had this question come up and I used to answer that I either "clerk" or "work" for a judge (without the initial "I'm a lawyer" part), random peoples' first reactions are to think I'm the equivalent of a secretary/JA. Even without going out of my way to care, I would think most people don't particularly enjoy being thought of as less than what they are. (The word "less" used here not meant to be any disrespect, of course.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

apparentlynew

New

Post by apparentlynew » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:58 am

Even without going out of my way to care, I would think most people don't particularly enjoy being thought of as less than what they are. (The word "less" used here not meant to be any disrespect, of course.)
You are using the word "less" to express precisely the idea of disrespect. That is why you "don't particularly enjoy being thought of as less than what" you are.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:08 am

Wikipedia has a good description on law clerks. Most people just assume I'm a secretary. I just say I'm happy to have a job and I mean it.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:32 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cim_can

New

Post by cim_can » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:21 am

My response is along the lines of I'm a lawyer, I work for a judge, helping him with civil and criminal litigation.

Also, people who replied using the anonymous feature: really?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:32 am

"I work for a judge."

People in the know will know you mean clerk. People who aren't won't care anyway. Try not to let your self-image get wrapped up in your job.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:41 am

I tell non-lawyers I am a lawyer, but not a real lawyer, because I just work for a judge.

Also...
Anonymous User wrote:My dad explained to my extended family members at a recent gathering that I'll be starting out as a secretary after law school.
... your dad sounds like a jerk.
Last edited by ggocat on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:03 am

This is the most atrocious humblebrag I've ever seen

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:15 am

apparentlynew wrote:
Even without going out of my way to care, I would think most people don't particularly enjoy being thought of as less than what they are. (The word "less" used here not meant to be any disrespect, of course.)
You are using the word "less" to express precisely the idea of disrespect. That is why you "don't particularly enjoy being thought of as less than what" you are.
As common on TLS, everyone tends to read unnecessary shit into things that aren't meant to be what they think it is. But that's cool. Not going to get into it any more because this discussion has turned stupid as hell, but I simply don't like my job being confused with others, just like I don't like my school being confused with others with similar names. (Fucking WUSTL.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:42 am

lolwat wrote:As common on TLS, everyone tends to read unnecessary shit into things that aren't meant to be what they think it is. But that's cool. Not going to get into it any more because this discussion has turned stupid as hell, but I simply don't like my job being confused with others, just like I don't like my school being confused with others with similar names. (Fucking WUSTL.)
Why do you give a shit what randos think of your school or your job?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:52 am

lolwat wrote:
apparentlynew wrote:
As common on TLS, everyone tends to read unnecessary shit into things that aren't meant to be what they think it is. But that's cool. Not going to get into it any more because this discussion has turned stupid as hell, but I simply don't like my job being confused with others, just like I don't like my school being confused with others with similar names. (Fucking WUSTL.)
You sound just wonderful dood

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:19 pm

"I work for a judge."

"Oh, what does that entail?"

"I help her do everything she needs help with."

"Oh, cool. That sounds ______."

This has been every convo I've had with non-lawyers almost verbatim.

msridiculous447

Bronze

Post by msridiculous447 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:"I work for a judge."

People in the know will know you mean clerk. People who aren't won't care anyway. Try not to let your self-image get wrapped up in your job.
We have a winner.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:06 pm

bk187 wrote:
lolwat wrote:As common on TLS, everyone tends to read unnecessary shit into things that aren't meant to be what they think it is. But that's cool. Not going to get into it any more because this discussion has turned stupid as hell, but I simply don't like my job being confused with others, just like I don't like my school being confused with others with similar names. (Fucking WUSTL.)
Why do you give a shit what randos think of your school or your job?
Because most people care about what others think about them, including matters of job, school, family, success etc. But I don't think you're actually unaware of that. I think, by rephrasing the same question 3 times within this thread alone, you're just trying to prove a point about how secure you are. The OP cares, that is all.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:14 pm

lolwat wrote: Not going to get into it any more because this discussion has turned stupid as hell, but I simply don't like my job being confused with others, just like I don't like my school being confused with others with similar names. (Fucking WUSTL.)
"You went to a really good school, right? Case Western?"
"Northwestern."
"Oh. Well, Northeastern is still a solid school."

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:16 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:This is the most atrocious humblebrag I've ever seen

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:17 pm

What school is going to be confused with WUSTL? GW?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”