Weird Language Clerkship Offer

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Weird Language Clerkship Offer

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:37 pm

I was recently offered and accepted a clerkship with a Federal Mag. Judge in a non-fly-over District Court for Sept 2014. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to interpret the description of the clerkship the Judge gave me during the interview.

The clerkship term was described as "two years, well, um, one year at a minimum, and we'll reevaluate to see where you are and what your goals are." first year is really for you, after that it's more so for me." [Do they all say that?]

I'm really excited about this clerkship (it's geographically perfect), but I would also really like to apply to an Art III and take a shot at COA. I have the stats to be competitive (I was this term).

But I'm not sure how to interpret his language. If I apply for 2015 cycle, I'll have to do it next March/May/June, several months before I even start with him. Do I go ahead and apply anyway, and address the issue if I get an interview? Or do I sit back, and hope he can put in a timely good word with an Art III in the same court house? Really don't want to start this clerkship off on the wrong foot...

NB--his last term clerk only stayed 1 year, and the one starting now until 2014 will only be there for 1 year. Thanks for the advice!!!!

queenlizzie13

Re: Weird Language Clerkship Offer

Postby queenlizzie13 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:54 pm

Sounds like the judge would prefer that you stay two years but he/she is open to you leaving after a year depending on your options, etc.

Most will specify the clerkship term specifically (e.g. one year clerkship from August 2014 - August 2015 or something along those lines).

Also, if you apply for 2015, you actually have to start now for COA. Some COA have already hired for 2015 (look at some of the threads in this section).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks for the input! Yeah the position was not posted on OSCAR so it was pretty ambiguous going in--and all the way through as it turns out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:34 am

Just based on what you told me, I would do a two-year clerkship and apply for jobs and other clerkship in the fall of 2014. I don't know if that second year of clerking from your current judge is guaranteed, though. If it wasn't, that would change my answer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:45 am

The second year isn't guaranteed it sounds like. This language gives you both an out, but it is more of an out for the Judge. If you click and you're a good fit for the position then the judge will want you there for two years (a lot of judges find it annoying to have someone leave just when he or she is really getting it). On the other hand, it is not uncommon for judges to decide one year is enough with a clerk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:58 am

so, that being said, do you think it would be looked down upon if i sent out applications for the 2015 cycle? I'm worried about another judge seeing his name on my resume and calling him for info. Or alternatively, me being lucky enough to get interviews for the following year and dropping a bomb on day 1 with a "oh by the way i may only be here for a year."

--just trying to figure out if that is worth the risk, or if my best shot at an Art III/COA is just to win his good graces, hope he knows someone in the same courthouse, and let the chips fall where they may.

theaccidentalclerk

Postby theaccidentalclerk » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:04 pm

Just ask your judge if he minds you applying for the 2015 cycle. There's a 95% chance he'll say go ahead.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”