Transit Subsidy Program

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
dbt

Transit Subsidy Program

Postby dbt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:28 pm

Can anyone tell me more about the transit subsidy voucher? My impression is this is a program for federal employees that essentially pays for your mass transportation costs (in my case, subway) up to a certain amount, which is up to $245 under the statute. Does anyone know the amount authorized for clerks by the court system?

Anonymous User

Re: Transit Subsidy Program

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:52 pm

I believed it's done court-by-court. In NYC, you get about $45/month. But I've heard rumblings that this may be reduced or cancelled as a result of sequestration. You can also sign up to get mass transit money deducted pre-tax from your paycheck, which you get reimbursed tax-free after submitting a form showing what you spent.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:01 pm

In DC, you fill out a form that requires you to calculate your monthly transit costs (not including parking) on bus/metro, MARC, VRE, etc. You then get that amount (up to $245 max) deposited onto your Smartcard every month.

dbt

Postby dbt » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:04 pm

Thanks. I'll be in NY. Anonuser, can you do both -- the ~$45, and the pre-tax deduction?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”