Summer Associate Before Fed Clerkship As Gap Filler

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Summer Associate Before Fed Clerkship As Gap Filler

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:37 pm

Hey all. Just accepted an offer to clerk in Federal District Court (Tampa) starting September 2014. Went to BC/BU, finishing a joint degree program at Columbia this Dec. Does anyone have any experience filling an awkward gap like that? I'm assuming no one will hire me entry level for 8 months with no guaranteed promise of return (right?). But would I qualify for a Summer Associste position?

Thought that could help fill the void, but I'll have a JD already and (hopefully) will have already passed the FL bar. Anyone ever heard of "super summers?"

JusticeJackson

Re: Summer Associate Before Fed Clerkship As Gap Filler

Postby JusticeJackson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:04 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:35 pm

Congratulations first on your clerkship. You should ask your school about any funding opportunities they have for "fellowships." For example, I know several people from my school who are going to do research for a professor part-time. It could be a good gap filler and give you a lot of time to relax until your clerkship. You also get to possibly do really interesting work for a prof and build a relationship there.

This is assuming you can do this strategy financially. You may have to wait tables at night to supplement your income.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:38 pm

There are a few firms that hire pre-clerkship summers. I don't remember any specifically off the top of my head but I've definitely seen them.

fran6187

Postby fran6187 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks so much for the advice everyone. Plugging that lingo into google, it does seem like some firms recognize that as an option. Fellowship or research asst. isn't a bad idea either as a little resume plug.

Leaving the courthouse I actually thought about having to wait tables, as I walked toward a restaurant across the street. Maybe ill even work there i giggled to myself. Then I realized it was out of business.......

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:11 pm

Professors can hook you up with things, yeah.

Your judge might be able to hook you up with things, too. My experience is that judges that hire clerks start taking an interest in them once they've hired them, not just once they actually start working.

My gap year included working with a professor and working at a place that my judge got me a job at.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:45 am

I know three firms who have done that in the V20, but all for people who had summered with them the previous year. I have heard of firms opening it up to someone who had not summered before but know fewer specifics. If you had a 2L SA, that would be your best bet.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”