Help me get a fed clerkship!

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
MoonDreamer
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Help me get a fed clerkship!

Postby MoonDreamer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:21 am

I am interested in getting a fed clerkship. I am now a second year associate at a reputable firm in the northeast and want the federal clerkship badge of honor to propel my career forward. One problem I have is poor law school grades. While I made it where I am with them, they seem to be posing problems for future opportunities.

While this is insignificant, I did a fed court internship in law school.

Advice?

hiima3L
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: Help me get a fed clerkship!

Postby hiima3L » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:23 am

Get strong recs and people who will call judges on your behalf.

Apply everywhere you can.

That's all you can do. It's a crapshoot.

MoonDreamer
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Help me get a fed clerkship!

Postby MoonDreamer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:25 am

hiima3L wrote:Get strong recs and people who will call judges on your behalf.

Apply everywhere you can.

That's all you can do. It's a crapshoot.


Is is worth it to go outside my market's circuit for a fed clerkship?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Help me get a fed clerkship!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:54 am

MoonDreamer wrote:
hiima3L wrote:Get strong recs and people who will call judges on your behalf.

Apply everywhere you can.

That's all you can do. It's a crapshoot.


Is is worth it to go outside my market's circuit for a fed clerkship?

Yes

MoonDreamer
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Help me get a fed clerkship!

Postby MoonDreamer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote:
hiima3L wrote:Get strong recs and people who will call judges on your behalf.

Apply everywhere you can.

That's all you can do. It's a crapshoot.


Is is worth it to go outside my market's circuit for a fed clerkship?

Yes


Okay say somehow I land a fed clerkship. Will it matter at all seeing as how I have terrible grades at a tier 3. Shouldnt I just hold onto my job?

GertrudePerkins
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Help me get a fed clerkship!

Postby GertrudePerkins » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:18 am

MoonDreamer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote:
hiima3L wrote:Get strong recs and people who will call judges on your behalf.

Apply everywhere you can.

That's all you can do. It's a crapshoot.


Is is worth it to go outside my market's circuit for a fed clerkship?

Yes


Okay say somehow I land a fed clerkship. Will it matter at all seeing as how I have terrible grades at a tier 3. Shouldnt I just hold onto my job?
I'm pretty fuzzy on what your overall MO is, OP. Do you dislike your current job and you're actively trying to leave? Are you just trying to shore up your credentials as a matter of professional insurance, so to speak? Do you actively think clerking would be a fun job?

As for looking outside your market's circuit, the answer is a resounding yes, because you're probably in a very competitive area (geographically) for clerkships and you don't sound like you're a very competitive candidate. These days people thank their lucky stars to secure a district court clerkship in [pick the most backwoods place you can think of].




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.