interview timing...time-sensitive question

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
objctnyrhnr

interview timing...time-sensitive question

Postby objctnyrhnr » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:01 pm

I received an interview from a SSC judge and thus far, it has been my only interview. 2 dates of the same week were offered. I stated that I was available for one, and that I had a jury trial for the other (I am a student prosecutor, this summer). His clerk then said that the day for which I said I was available was full, and asked about the possibility of 3 other dates that week, one of which I had a jury trial for and I stated this. The clerk then said that the two dates I gave did not work. He said that they would be scheduling more slots in late August, and that he would contact me.

Here is my question: by not giving my jury trial to somebody else, do I decrease my risk at getting a clerkship? Jury trials are very valuable for interns who aspire to be prosecutors, but it would probably be worth it for me to give one up if I think that my chances will decrease in late August. I have not had a jury trial yet and want very badly to have one before the end of the summer. I have a few others scheduled, but it takes a perfect storm to make a JT happen. I would put both of these at a bit more likely to happen than not. What do you guys think?

lolwat

Re: interview timing...time-sensitive question

Postby lolwat » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Is it possible you can ask if the SSC judge is holding off making decisions until at least late August (when you've had a chance to interview) or if he might be making rolling decisions?

I mean, I know that's kind of what you're asking here, but it's too judge-specific for us to really answer. If the judge isn't going to make a decision until September, it doesn't seem like you decrease your chances at getting the clerkship. It might marginally make some difference in that interviewing at a later time could make it appear that you're less interested in the clerkship than you really are, but scheduling conflicts happen.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:54 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:17 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:I received an interview from a SSC judge and thus far, it has been my only interview. 2 dates of the same week were offered. I stated that I was available for one, and that I had a jury trial for the other (I am a student prosecutor, this summer). His clerk then said that the day for which I said I was available was full, and asked about the possibility of 3 other dates that week, one of which I had a jury trial for and I stated this. The clerk then said that the two dates I gave did not work. He said that they would be scheduling more slots in late August, and that he would contact me.

Here is my question: by not giving my jury trial to somebody else, do I decrease my risk at getting a clerkship? Jury trials are very valuable for interns who aspire to be prosecutors, but it would probably be worth it for me to give one up if I think that my chances will decrease in late August. I have not had a jury trial yet and want very badly to have one before the end of the summer. I have a few others scheduled, but it takes a perfect storm to make a JT happen. I would put both of these at a bit more likely to happen than not. What do you guys think?

I was invited to interview with a district court interview right around exams. I scheduled it after exams so I could study. The judge hired someone before I had the chance to interview. That's what could happen. The later the interview, the more risk you run.

legalmindedfella

Postby legalmindedfella » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:08 am

There's no way this won't hurt you, on getting this clerkship. If you can ethically withdraw from the jury trial and think you have a realistic chance at this, and that it represents a reasonable shot at what you want w/r/t a clerkship, make arrangements to interview.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:11 pm

thank you all for your advice. i relinquished my jury trial and will be interviewing at the end of the second of his two allotted interview days...hopefully he will not give out both spots before then.

Another

Postby Another » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:04 pm

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opinions_R_Us

Postby Opinions_R_Us » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:32 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:thank you all for your advice. i relinquished my jury trial and will be interviewing at the end of the second of his two allotted interview days...hopefully he will not give out both spots before then.

I wish you luck with this but FWIW, I think you made the wrong decision. I am a state appellate judge and while I certainly can't speak for all judges, I never make instant offers during interviews. Think about it from the judge's standpoint, it is obviously more prudent to wait until all the interviews are done before making a decision/offer.

The reason for your unavailability was entirely plausible and I would not have penalized any applicant who was unavailable on certain dates because of involvement in a jury trial and if you were good enough on paper to warrant an interview, I would have worked with you to squeeze you in or schedule the interview when it would work with both our schedules. The fact that you dumped a jury trial you had prepared for on somebody else would not impress me and would likely kill your chances, at least with me. I am confident most other judges would approach your situation the same way.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:48 pm

Opinions_R_Us wrote:I wish you luck with this but FWIW, I think you made the wrong decision. I am a state appellate judge and while I certainly can't speak for all judges, I never make instant offers during interviews. Think about it from the judge's standpoint, it is obviously more prudent to wait until all the interviews are done before making a decision/offer.

The reason for your unavailability was entirely plausible and I would not have penalized any applicant who was unavailable on certain dates because of involvement in a jury trial and if you were good enough on paper to warrant an interview, I would have worked with you to squeeze you in or schedule the interview when it would work with both our schedules. The fact that you dumped a jury trial you had prepared for on somebody else would not impress me and would likely kill your chances, at least with me. I am confident most other judges would approach your situation the same way.

I'm glad we actually get a perspective from a judge here (and I hope you keep posting in this forum for all of the questions people have! :)). I've generally heard that there is a high risk of a judge making decisions as they interview. This is certainly judge-specific; some will make offers as they interview and cancel the rest, some will not make offers until they are finished with interviewing. I mean, a few posts above yours gave an example of that happening. Unfortunately, without some inside information, it is very difficult to ascertain which type of judge his interview is with.

Opinions_R_Us

Postby Opinions_R_Us » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:38 pm

lolwat wrote:
Opinions_R_Us wrote:I wish you luck with this but FWIW, I think you made the wrong decision. I am a state appellate judge and while I certainly can't speak for all judges, I never make instant offers during interviews. Think about it from the judge's standpoint, it is obviously more prudent to wait until all the interviews are done before making a decision/offer.

I'm glad we actually get a perspective from a judge here (and I hope you keep posting in this forum for all of the questions people have! :)). I've generally heard that there is a high risk of a judge making decisions as they interview. This is certainly judge-specific; some will make offers as they interview and cancel the rest, some will not make offers until they are finished with interviewing. I mean, a few posts above yours gave an example of that happening. Unfortunately, without some inside information, it is very difficult to ascertain which type of judge his interview is with.

I'm just guessing here but I think the difference may be whether you are talking about an appellate or federal district judge. In my area, the federal district court judges have sometimes been known to make a snap offer because they are typically all considering the same people and some judges may make a snap offer to grab an outstanding candidate quickly before a colleague does. However, I don't know of any federal circuit or state appellate judge that does that. We tend to hire from separate pools of candidates (although there is some overlap) because of geography and timing - We typically don't start the clerk hiring process until about a month after the feds do. Even though my Court and my state's Supreme Court hire clerks at about the same time, there are so many great candidates to choose from and relatively few judges doing the choosing, nobody feels compelled to hurry the process and it also helps that everybody knows an anecdotal story or two about a judge who really, really regretted not waiting and taking more time because good on paper doesn't necessarily mean a good clerk.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:24 pm

I appreciate the different perspective, though I do not think the judge was aware of the situation. Additionally, I had a feeling that I would have to dismiss the case as the day drew closer and my investigation dug deeper, because of lack of evidence. Also, I probably will have had a few jury trials before the end of the internship, while the other intern will have had none. Either way, I am confident that I made the right decision.

Another

Postby Another » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:54 am

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:54 pm

arguing a criminal case before a jury as a rising 3L. i know of a handful of states that have it...have not done extensive research as to which states do and which states do not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:25 pm

Yes, some states have student practice rules that allow this. I'm working in the criminal system in Washington State this summer, where rising 3Ls can perform almost all prosecution and defense functions (under supervision) on certain cases, like misdemeanors (six-person juries) and juvenile cases (bench trials).

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”