Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lawyerupp
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:17 am

Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby lawyerupp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:04 am

I noticed there was not a whole lot talk about bankruptcy clerkship positions. Maybe I am one of the few actually hoping for one. I applied through OSCAR with the following bankruptcy judges:

Fifth Cir.-- (Houston - Bohm & Isgur; Dallas - Hale; Austin - Davis & Mott; San Antonio - Gargotta)
Eleventh Cir.-- (Atlanta - Diehl & Sacca)
Fourth Cir. -- (Norfolk - Santoro; Alexandria - Kenny & Mayer; Charlotte - Whitley)
Sixth Cir. -- (Louisville - Fulton)
Second Cir. -- (Chicago - Barnes & Wedoff).

Has anybody hear from any of these chambers? Has anybody heard from any of the bankruptcy judges at all? Please share any other thoughts, concerns, or information on bankruptcy clerkships in general. Thanks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:41 am

I lined up a 2014-2015 clerkship with a D. Del./SDNY bankruptcy judge earlier this spring. I also applied to all the D. Del. and SDNY judges earlier this spring and have not hear from any of them, other that the judge that interviewed me and offered a position.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:38 am

lawyerupp wrote:I noticed there was not a whole lot talk about bankruptcy clerkship positions. Maybe I am one of the few actually hoping for one. I applied through OSCAR with the following bankruptcy judges:

Fifth Cir.-- (Houston - Bohm & Isgur; Dallas - Hale; Austin - Davis & Mott; San Antonio - Gargotta)
Eleventh Cir.-- (Atlanta - Diehl & Sacca)
Fourth Cir. -- (Norfolk - Santoro; Alexandria - Kenny & Mayer; Charlotte - Whitley)
Sixth Cir. -- (Louisville - Fulton)
Second Cir. -- (Chicago - Barnes & Wedoff).

Has anybody hear from any of these chambers? Has anybody heard from any of the bankruptcy judges at all? Please share any other thoughts, concerns, or information on bankruptcy clerkships in general. Thanks.


Davis, Mott, and Gargotta have called applicants and set up interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:26 pm

I received an offer from one of the Fifth Circuit judges you mentioned.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawyerupp wrote:I noticed there was not a whole lot talk about bankruptcy clerkship positions. Maybe I am one of the few actually hoping for one. I applied through OSCAR with the following bankruptcy judges:

Fifth Cir.-- (Houston - Bohm & Isgur; Dallas - Hale; Austin - Davis & Mott; San Antonio - Gargotta)
Eleventh Cir.-- (Atlanta - Diehl & Sacca)
Fourth Cir. -- (Norfolk - Santoro; Alexandria - Kenny & Mayer; Charlotte - Whitley)
Sixth Cir. -- (Louisville - Fulton)
Second Cir. -- (Chicago - Barnes & Wedoff).

Has anybody hear from any of these chambers? Has anybody heard from any of the bankruptcy judges at all? Please share any other thoughts, concerns, or information on bankruptcy clerkships in general. Thanks.


Davis, Mott, and Gargotta have called applicants and set up interviews.


Add Bohm + Hale to this list.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:19 pm

Does anyone have any opinions/insights into how much of a resume boost a bankruptcy clerkship in a large market that isn't D.Del or S.D.N.Y. provides? I have a 2014/15 clerkship in one of Dallas/Houston/Atlanta but didn't have a summer associate position at a large firm.

At the interviews, the current clerks seemed pretty positive about the impact of a bankruptcy clerkship on their job prospects, but I've also heard that the bankruptcy market isn't great.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:48 pm

A clerk in my district got a good 6 figure job (as did a friend last year). Decent sized market. Also, neither had SA positions. Not NY or DE, but a desirable district.

peter2009
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby peter2009 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any opinions/insights into how much of a resume boost a bankruptcy clerkship in a large market that isn't D.Del or S.D.N.Y. provides? I have a 2014/15 clerkship in one of Dallas/Houston/Atlanta but didn't have a summer associate position at a large firm.

At the interviews, the current clerks seemed pretty positive about the impact of a bankruptcy clerkship on their job prospects, but I've also heard that the bankruptcy market isn't great.


Definite help to your resume even though bankruptcy is slow right now. I know bankruptcy clerks in Texas who got big firm jobs after clerkship without previously being a summer associate.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:59 pm

Thanks for the replies. It's good to hear that it will be a resume boost.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:11 pm

Any hiring news out of Delaware of SDNY?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:54 pm

I accepted a clerkship with a Delaware bankruptcy judge back in June.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:53 pm

What are the odds of jumping from bankruptcy clerkship in a major city (not SDNY or DEL) to a bankruptcy group at a mid-size/large New York firm? No connection to New York, but I really want to practice in the city.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are the odds of jumping from bankruptcy clerkship in a major city (not SDNY or DEL) to a bankruptcy group at a mid-size/large New York firm? No connection to New York, but I really want to practice in the city.

This really depends. I had a flyover-ish bk clerkship for a very well-regarded judge, and I was lucky enough to get to work on two very, very big cases. If you get experience on a major case, that will be insanely helpful, but obviously that's hard (if not impossible) to know when you're evaluating where to apply.

I do think you have to be in a real city though. Maybe not LA or Chicago, but Wyoming would be a poor choice.

peter2009
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby peter2009 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are the odds of jumping from bankruptcy clerkship in a major city (not SDNY or DEL) to a bankruptcy group at a mid-size/large New York firm? No connection to New York, but I really want to practice in the city.

This really depends. I had a flyover-ish bk clerkship for a very well-regarded judge, and I was lucky enough to get to work on two very, very big cases. If you get experience on a major case, that will be insanely helpful, but obviously that's hard (if not impossible) to know when you're evaluating where to apply.

I do think you have to be in a real city though. Maybe not LA or Chicago, but Wyoming would be a poor choice.


I would guess it would be pretty difficult because bankruptcy is slow right now and you would be competing against all the DE and SDNY clerks, in addition to people with connections to NYC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:47 pm

peter2009 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are the odds of jumping from bankruptcy clerkship in a major city (not SDNY or DEL) to a bankruptcy group at a mid-size/large New York firm? No connection to New York, but I really want to practice in the city.

This really depends. I had a flyover-ish bk clerkship for a very well-regarded judge, and I was lucky enough to get to work on two very, very big cases. If you get experience on a major case, that will be insanely helpful, but obviously that's hard (if not impossible) to know when you're evaluating where to apply.

I do think you have to be in a real city though. Maybe not LA or Chicago, but Wyoming would be a poor choice.


I would guess it would be pretty difficult because bankruptcy is slow right now and you would be competing against all the DE and SDNY clerks, in addition to people with connections to NYC.

This is true. The biggest thing I got told was just that bk work is slow. However I will say that two of the other clerks who started on my term both just left for very good firms and I will be doing the same soon, so flyover bk clerkship --> biglaw is definitely *possible* whether or not it's hugely likely.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:36 pm

Does anyone know if the 5th circuit bankruptcy judges have all given clerkship offers yet? Anyone heard from hale?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any hiring news out of Delaware of SDNY?


I think a couple SDNY judges hired in late July. Not sure about the others.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:51 am

I'm in a class with a guy who just got offered Hale's clerkship for next year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I accepted a clerkship with a Delaware bankruptcy judge back in June.


Do you mind if I ask for your stats?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:59 pm

How do you find out which markets are "big chapter 11 markets"?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I accepted a clerkship with a Delaware bankruptcy judge back in June.


Do you mind if I ask for your stats?


I'm the anon DE clerk. Stats: T20, top 15%, secondary journal (e-board), a few book awards in relevant courses (bankruptcy, secured transactions, sec reg), some bankruptcy work experience in law school, and I am doing a bankruptcy clerkship in flyover country this year.

User avatar
emciosn
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby emciosn » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you find out which markets are "big chapter 11 markets"?


I just posted a response to this in the big chapter 11 markets thread. Short answer: DE and SDNY are quite a ways ahead of everywhere else in the country. After that are Chicago, Dallas, and LA. After that are other big cities (you ability to get biglaw from these places decreases as you go down the list depending on the judge's connections). Keep in mind that outside of DE and SDNY you will spend the good majority of your time on consumer stuff.

patriot888
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:06 pm

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby patriot888 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:57 pm

emciosn wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do you find out which markets are "big chapter 11 markets"?


I just posted a response to this in the big chapter 11 markets thread. Short answer: DE and SDNY are quite a ways ahead of everywhere else in the country. After that are Chicago, Dallas, and LA. After that are other big cities (you ability to get biglaw from these places decreases as you go down the list depending on the judge's connections). Keep in mind that outside of DE and SDNY you will spend the good majority of your time on consumer stuff.


I see. When you say "Judges connections", you suggest that it is the Judge who gets you the "BigLaw" job. Is this the way it is done? I was under the impression that it is the clerkship that gets you the position.

User avatar
emciosn
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Federal Bankruptcy Clerkships 2014-15

Postby emciosn » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:40 pm

patriot888 wrote:
emciosn wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do you find out which markets are "big chapter 11 markets"?


I just posted a response to this in the big chapter 11 markets thread. Short answer: DE and SDNY are quite a ways ahead of everywhere else in the country. After that are Chicago, Dallas, and LA. After that are other big cities (you ability to get biglaw from these places decreases as you go down the list depending on the judge's connections). Keep in mind that outside of DE and SDNY you will spend the good majority of your time on consumer stuff.


I see. When you say "Judges connections", you suggest that it is the Judge who gets you the "BigLaw" job. Is this the way it is done? I was under the impression that it is the clerkship that gets you the position.


Connections may not be the right word, although some judges probably do have connections in the district where they preside due to the fact that they likely practiced there for many years, but how well known/respected your judge is can have an affect on who wants to hire you. Disclaimer: this is based on what I have heard and not actual experience.




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.