Should you tell your summer firm you accepted a clerkship?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Should you tell your summer firm you accepted a clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:47 am

The firm I am summering at does leave offers open if you end up clerking. This raises interesting questions: (1) if I tell the firm about the clerkship and I'm no offered, did I lose anything?; (2) if I don't tell the firm about the clerkship until offered, the offer isn't held over, so see #1; and (3) will I be treated differently during the rest of the summer if the firm doesn't emphasize clerkships (or offer bonuses for them)?

Thoughts?

Another

Postby Another » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:34 am

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lolwat

Re: Should you tell your summer firm you accepted a clerkship?

Postby lolwat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:12 am

The firm I am summering at does leave offers open if you end up clerking.

Do you mean "doesn't"? Because this sentence doesn't make sense with your other questions, especially:

(2) if I don't tell the firm about the clerkship until offered, the offer isn't held over, so see #1

I don't know the answer to your question, though. Sometimes firms don't officially "keep offers open" for reasons (conflicts type purposes?) but there is still an understanding that you can/will return there after the clerkship.

I personally think if you have a COA/DCT/SSC clerkship that a firm that (1) doesn't emphasize clerkships / (2) doesn't keep offers open / (3) would no-offer you for accepting a clerkship PROBABLY isn't worth going back to after that clerkship anyways.

So I don't think you lose anything either way, but the "right" thing to do would be to tell them.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”