Judicial Clerkships - Is it Too Late? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
sparty99

Gold

Judicial Clerkships - Is it Too Late?

Post by sparty99 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:15 pm

I'm not very hip on the judicial clerkships as I'm below-median. However, did I miss the boat on applying to these clerkships? Did that plan release date mean that all judges only review the resumes they have in their system at that time?

I'm kind of confused on this process. Any clarification would be appreciated.

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Judicial Clerkships - Is it Too Late?

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:19 pm

Your chances for a federal clerkship with a below median GPA from anywhere are pretty slim. Essentially nonexistent if you don't go to HYS.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:21 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:23 pm

The pool of judges still hiring is definitely reduced, but there are still some hiring and those that have not begun reviewing applications yet. You never know so if you're serious get on it.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Thanks. I know the fact that I'm below-median and not at HYS works against me, but I apply to all available paying jobs and let that play its course...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:35 pm

Below median isn't a great look for state clerkships, either, although better than for AIII (and depends on the state/school. In the state court of appeals where I clerked, below median HYS - with ties - would probably do fine, but at most other schools, even T14, I don't think below median would get you very far. Barring something like significant connections to the judge, of course. This was a state with no local T14s - just a T1 and T2). But of course, you can't win if you don't play, so as long as you go in recognizing your chances, there's certainly no reason NOT to apply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”