Advice?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Advice?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:24 pm

I'm from the east cost/go to school on the east coast, but I have a connection to CA and would really like to get back there. I've sent what feels like a million clerkship applications, and I finally got a bite. Here's the thing: the interview is with a judge somewhere in the midwest (secondary market, whatever that means). So my questions are:

1. Will taking a position with her kill any hope of getting back out west?
2. Any advice on whether I should just take the job if offered versus trying to hold out somehow for a call from one of the California d.cts?
3. It's going to be a 20-minute interview. What should I expect? Is it like OCI where the real goal is to show how normal I am?
4. This one might be obvious, but I don't know the answer: how do I find out what any particular docket is like?

Thanks, dudes.

lolwat

Re: Advice?

Postby lolwat » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:39 pm

No.

2. Any advice on whether I should just take the job if offered versus trying to hold out somehow for a call from one of the California d.cts?

Take it.

3. It's going to be a 20-minute interview. What should I expect? Is it like OCI where the real goal is to show how normal I am?

Is this a phone interview or an in-person interview?

4. This one might be obvious, but I don't know the answer: how do I find out what any particular docket is like?

Do some research on the judge if possible and then I believe Justia has some searches you can do.

Happy to elaborate on any of those answers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:40 pm

Can't speak to 1. with any expertise (though on instinct, I doubt it would - you wanted to clerk, that was your option on where to clerk seems like a sufficient answer to skeptical West Coast employers).

2. If your goal is to get a clerkship this cycle, take it if offered if you're okay with the judge and the city. Holding out this year is an enormous risk unless you're an off-the-charts applicant (and they're even having trouble). A lot of people are having trouble.
3. 20 minutes is certainly short for a clerkship interview, but if that's the way the judge is structuring them, OCI probably isn't a bad analogy. Just be 100% certain to have a bulletproof, short, great answer on why you want to clerk there and for that judge. You might only get one shot at providing it.
4. Career clerk is a great resource for the particular docket, if you're in contact with them. If it's not Chicago (sounds like it's not), then the docket might also vary significantly depending on state circumstances. You should also be sure going in, anyways, that you know a little bit about the state and what the current mood is (so, if you're in ND, know that fracking is big, and the court will be seeing some NA law cases, that kind of thing). Not to bs that you actually know more than you do, but so you have a frame of reference for what you're getting into.

Good luck!!! And good luck getting back to CA, same boat.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm from the east cost/go to school on the east coast, but I have a connection to CA and would really like to get back there. I've sent what feels like a million clerkship applications, and I finally got a bite. Here's the thing: the interview is with a judge somewhere in the midwest (secondary market, whatever that means). So my questions are:

Thanks, dudes.

1. Nope.
2. If you're offered a clerkship, you're usually supposed to take it. Why would you interview if you didn't plan to take it?
3. That's pretty short. Is she having multiple rounds of interviews (that's unusual)? If it's just 20, she probably just wants to get a feel for you, your personality, style, etc. Be prepared to answer typical questions like "Why clerk?" "Why for me?" Just have those answers in your back pocket. Just be thoroughly prepared even though it's 20 minute interview only. Start crafting a compelling and believable life story and narrative for why you want to clerk. Make it believable to you so it can be believable to her.
Before my interview with my judge, i read through all the clerkship informational papers (the ones that contain samples questions, etc.) that my school provided, and I even did some independent research online. I worked hard to make sure I had answers that I could give, which sounded natural and genuine. Even if they were rehearsed.
4. In addition to what everyone else said, you can use Westlaw to look up a judge's published opinions, orders.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”