Value of Federal Court of Appeals Clerkship

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Value of Federal Court of Appeals Clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:43 pm

I wanted to get some opinions on the long-term career benefits of doing a Federal Court of Appeals clerkship, especially for someone who is not going straight from law school. Assume an interest in a career in litigation, either at a GP or a litigation boutique.

Here are some specific questions:
    Does it meaningfully increase partnership chances?
    Does it increase your marketability for lateraling later in your career?
    Is there really something to the argument that you learn how a judge thinks?
    Do you learn relevant skills that you would not otherwise learn at a law firm?
    Is it worth it to forgo the experiences you will get at a firm to leave the firm to do a clerkship?

I'm sure there are other important considerations. Feel free to weigh in with all of those as well.

Thanks!

hlsperson1111

Re: Value of Federal Court of Appeals Clerkship

Postby hlsperson1111 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:22 pm

Probably not
Probably
Yes
Yes
Maybe

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:00 am

Do you think clerking would be fun?

I'm clerking and god damn I love my job. Almost everyone who clerks loves the experience. This in and of itself is a reason to clerk, IMO, and I would take that in to consideration.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do you think clerking would be fun?

I'm clerking and god damn I love my job. Almost everyone who clerks loves the experience. This in and of itself is a reason to clerk, IMO, and I would take that in to consideration.

I have heard that it is an enjoyable experience. In that regard, I would not mind it, although I don't mind my biglaw job either.

How far in were you before you clerked? When did you apply? Anything besides the "fun" element that drew you to it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you think clerking would be fun?

I have heard that it is an enjoyable experience. In that regard, I would not mind it, although I don't mind my biglaw job either.

How far in were you before you clerked? When did you apply? Anything besides the "fun" element that drew you to it?

It's my first post-grad job. I applied as a rising 3L.

I applied because I knew I'd enjoy the experience, I didn't have a job lined up so I was applying everywhere and know clerking will help down the line, and honestly because it was the first offer I got.

ClerkAdvisor

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wanted to get some opinions on the long-term career benefits of doing a Federal Court of Appeals clerkship, especially for someone who is not going straight from law school. Assume an interest in a career in litigation, either at a GP or a litigation boutique.

Here are some specific questions:
    Does it meaningfully increase partnership chances?
    Does it increase your marketability for lateraling later in your career?
    Is there really something to the argument that you learn how a judge thinks?
    Do you learn relevant skills that you would not otherwise learn at a law firm?
    Is it worth it to forgo the experiences you will get at a firm to leave the firm to do a clerkship?

I'm sure there are other important considerations. Feel free to weigh in with all of those as well.

Thanks!

1 - Probably not.
2 - Maybe.
3 - Probably. There is certainly value in learning what arguments work and don't work. And, there's value in learning how judges go about the decision making process. I think that knowing how an opinion is written allows you to write better briefs/make better arguments in the first instance.
4 - Probably. Same as above. In a district court, especially, you'll get a lot of exposure to dispositive motions - far more than you'd get in a year at a firm.
5 - Yes. From a district court stand point, you'll trade off the discovery work you'd get in a year at a firm for far more exposure to dispositive motions. From a COA (and DCT) stand point, if you get a good boss, you'll get a lot of work on your writing.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”