Anyone ever seen a def. get tased after a verdict comes in?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
cbanck

Anyone ever seen a def. get tased after a verdict comes in?

Postby cbanck » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:19 am

Last week, I finished the first case I have worked on from start to finish at the trial court level. It was an attempted 1st degree murder on count 1 and attempted 1st degree murder on count 2. Basically this asshate drove all the way from NY to LA to shot his ex g/f in the chest. He was waiting for her in the bushes outside her house with a gun. He shot her, and took some shots at her father who had ran outside to help. He grazed the dad's forehead. Luckily the girl survived. His defense was that he was going to kill himself in front of her on valentines day. (how romantic) but he brought two clips for his pistol. Ya dont need two clips for a suicide. Anyway jury verdict comes back and finds him guilty on the first count of attempted 1st degree murder and agg. battery on the 2nd. At that point he flips out, starts accussing the judge of laughing at him, at which point the bailiffs told him he would not be allowed to hug his family. He flipped out, tried to jump the bar, got himself tased, pissed his pants, then his brothers jumped to bar to help restrain him. At this point his daughter who is about 8 months pregnant attempts to run after the victims family screaming a cursing. It was the wildest thing I have ever seen and it was only my first trial. Anyone else got any wild stories like that? Is that rare for defendants to freak out like that?

Redfactor

Re: Anyone ever seen a def. get tased after a verdict comes in?

Postby Redfactor » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:47 am

Last edited by Redfactor on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apparentlynew

Postby apparentlynew » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:40 pm

Don't leave us in suspense-

Did he get the clerkship?

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:17 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:41 pm

Yeah, this has to be some violation of the Rules of Professional Conduct

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:09 am

ajax adonis wrote:This is a court where you're clerking? You might not want to comment too much or at all, especially if you worked on it for the judge. It doesn't look good/professional to post about it on an online forum.

Oh lighten up. This probably happens at least once a day in criminal courts across the country.

Edit: But yes, it is a violation of rules of conduct and I wouldn't do it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:16 am

I saw some super interesting cases (though no murder trials). Had some case involving a federal gun crime. The guy is some huge ass dude, looked like he was quite the tough guy on the streets, and I took a bit of pleasure seeing him strung up and made an example of after getting caught. But then when the verdict was read, he started crying and sobbing pretty much uncontrollably. No anger at all, just tears. And at that point I just felt it was the saddest and most pitiful thing. It was one of the few moments that summer where I genuinely felt bad for a defendant in the courtroom.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:37 am

was an extern for a federal judge, and one day I went upstairs into another courtroom to watch a murder trial. defendant basically executed these two young girls because they helped steal a couple keys of cocaine from him. courtroom is packed with the girls' families, many wearing memorial tshirts with their pictures on it. before the trial started you could tell this was a big day for them, for obvious reasons. emotions were palpable in the gallery.

after opening statements, AUSA calls the first witness. during direct he proceeds to show a picture of the two girls' bodies, tied to a chair, slumped over with gunshot wounds to the head, at which point a family member proceeds to just completely flip out, screaming and yelling and causing a huge scene in front of the jury. no tasers involved, but it took two or three marshals to carry this woman out of the courtroom kicking and screaming. the judge was absolutely livid. ordered the jury out of the courtroom immediately, and proceeded to go on a ten minute tirade admonishing the gallery to keep it together or else he might have to declare a mistrial.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:was an extern for a federal judge, and one day I went upstairs into another courtroom to watch a murder trial. defendant basically executed these two young girls because they helped steal a couple keys of cocaine from him. courtroom is packed with the girls' families, many wearing memorial tshirts with their pictures on it. before the trial started you could tell this was a big day for them, for obvious reasons. emotions were palpable in the gallery.

after opening statements, AUSA calls the first witness. during direct he proceeds to show a picture of the two girls' bodies, tied to a chair, slumped over with gunshot wounds to the head, at which point a family member proceeds to just completely flip out, screaming and yelling and causing a huge scene in front of the jury. no tasers involved, but it took two or three marshals to carry this woman out of the courtroom kicking and screaming. the judge was absolutely livid. ordered the jury out of the courtroom immediately, and proceeded to go on a ten minute tirade admonishing the gallery to keep it together or else he might have to declare a mistrial.

Scumbag Federal Judge:

DOESN'T EXCLUDE EXTREMELY GRAPHIC PHOTOS EVEN THOUGH DEFENDANT PROBABLY RAISED A 403 OBJECTION

REAMS VICTIMS' FAMILIES WHEN THEY UNDERSTANDABLY FLIP OUT

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”