Miracle Clerkships

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Miracle Clerkships

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:52 pm

I'm not expecting a huge response to this thread given the denizens of this site, but since things are quiet due to the new plan I'd figure I'd see if there were instances out there of people getting phone calls/interviews who numbers/credentials-wise wouldn't normally qualify for the position. Maybe your DDC cover letter smelled like rich mahogany or you took a chance on OSCAR from a T2 just above the median and got a phone call. Might be nice to hear some anecdotal evidence for those playing the waiting game or a just mere applicant mortals.

Anonymous User

Re: Miracle Clerkships

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not expecting a huge response to this thread given the denizens of this site, but since things are quiet due to the new plan I'd figure I'd see if there were instances out there of people getting phone calls/interviews who numbers/credentials-wise wouldn't normally qualify for the position. Maybe your DDC cover letter smelled like rich mahogany or you took a chance on OSCAR from a T2 just above the median and got a phone call. Might be nice to hear some anecdotal evidence for those playing the waiting game or a just mere applicant mortals.

School ranked in the 80s. Top 1/3. A few yrs at a no name firm. Over 100 apps.1interview in a major d.ct. 1 offer. All it takes is a chance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:08 am

Not sure if this qualifies, but very middle of the pack from lower T14 (CNDG) landed COA a couple years ago on the strength of a great recommendation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:48 am

School ranked in the 40s. I had a 3.22/top 45% GPA when I applied. Sent out ~100 interviews, got 1 interview, and 1 offer.

The reason I got hired is because I have extraordinarily strong recommendations and got a lot of writing awards in law school. My judge likes to hire good writers because, in his/her opinion, anyone can figure out the law with his/her guidance, but not everyone can write clearly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:21 pm

School in the 40's as well. Just outside the top third with secondary journal, moot court and an ra gig on a piece that was already slated for publication in a law review.

I got one district court judge interview in a flyover district though I must've done at least 100 apps. I didn't get an offer but it upped my confidence enough to try again as an alum. In terms of why I was selected, I had internship experience in the flyover district, and my supervisor was one of my recommenders and respected by the judge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:37 am

T2, top 1/3, no LR, MC, published in outside law review. Sent out at least 100 applications and landed one in a district next to a major market. No professors called, but my recommendations were good. Just plain/dumb luck.

Army2Law

Postby Army2Law » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:42 am

I thought this was a thread about clerking for canon law judges. Now I'm just disappointed.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School ranked in the 40s. I had a 3.22/top 45% GPA when I applied. Sent out ~100 interviews, got 1 interview, and 1 offer.

The reason I got hired is because I have extraordinarily strong recommendations and got a lot of writing awards in law school. My judge likes to hire good writers because, in his/her opinion, anyone can figure out the law with his/her guidance, but not everyone can write clearly.

Hey can you pm me a bit more about this? I've won a couple similar awards and would like to send out an application to your judge in a year or two. I'd be really interested in hearing about what's on your resume and how this clerkship came about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:08 pm

Secondary journal, top 10% at a T25 and landed a district court clerkship in a district with a major legal market (but not ddc or similarly competitive).

I am 100% sure I got the interview based on a prof making a phone call. The emerging trend is that you gotta have a professor go to bat for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:33 pm

Classmate at school not even ranked got chief judge of one of the major COAs. Then was immediately asked by current clerks of D.C. judge to apply there, applied, and like three days later got a year with the D.C. after COA.

Miracles do happen, people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:42 pm

The clerk that replaced me at my Fed CoA clerkship was like top 25%-35% at a school that was decimated by the recession. He/she was the only AIII clerk in the class. He/shee had a former clerk call and talk them up to the judge. I understand that there was a lot of built up rage targeted at him/her at his/her school.

Myself

Postby Myself » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:45 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:51 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The clerk that replaced me at my Fed CoA clerkship was like top 25%-35% at a school that was decimated by the recession. He/she was the only AIII clerk in the class. He/shee had a former clerk call and talk them up to the judge. I understand that there was a lot of built up rage targeted at him/her at his/her school.

There was rage targeted at this clerk/student? That just puzzles me.

I think there were people in the top 1% of the class that were unable to land clerkships or biglaw, and this person that was ranked 25%-35% landed a fed coa. The top 1% people had a bit of a "that's not fair" mentality.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The clerk that replaced me at my Fed CoA clerkship was like top 25%-35% at a school that was decimated by the recession. He/she was the only AIII clerk in the class. He/shee had a former clerk call and talk them up to the judge. I understand that there was a lot of built up rage targeted at him/her at his/her school.

I think there were people in the top 1% of the class that were unable to land clerkships or biglaw, and this person that was ranked 25%-35% landed a fed coa. The top 1% people had a bit of a "that's not fair" mentality.

It kind of isn't, but how is that the student's fault? I mean, it's understandable that they'd be frustrated after working hard and not reaping the benefits, but don't direct your anger at an innocent bystander.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:07 pm

ajax adonis wrote:

Haters gonna hate.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Or rather, law students gonna law student.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Curious about the judges who frequently hire from less "elite" schools?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not expecting a huge response to this thread given the denizens of this site, but since things are quiet due to the new plan I'd figure I'd see if there were instances out there of people getting phone calls/interviews who numbers/credentials-wise wouldn't normally qualify for the position. Maybe your DDC cover letter smelled like rich mahogany or you took a chance on OSCAR from a T2 just above the median and got a phone call. Might be nice to hear some anecdotal evidence for those playing the waiting game or a just mere applicant mortals.

Buddy of mine from our T2 didn't graduate from Honors (so bottom 75% or so) and is clerking on the COA. he hustled by externing with the judge

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:04 pm

Basically, from my limited experience/knowledge, judges that frequently hire from less elite schools do so because they're hiring from their regional/local schools (and then, they basically have their pick of the top kids), so it's still very difficult to get clerkships with them if you're at a non-elite school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:07 pm

lolwat wrote:

Basically, from my limited experience/knowledge, judges that frequently hire from less elite schools do so because they're hiring from their regional/local schools (and then, they basically have their pick of the top kids), so it's still very difficult to get clerkships with them if you're at a non-elite school.

This is also my experience as well. The judge I am clerking for after graduation seems to hire like this normally. Either top of the class regionally or T14. However, one of my co-clerks is not from the area or T14, but he is currently clerking for a district judge. Additionally, I received some surprising district court interviews (but not COA) with judges where I had no connection, geographic or otherwise. And I go to a school that is not anywhere close to T14. Point is: there are general tendencies, but tons of exceptions as well. You just have to apply and see what happens.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:55 am

My judge usually hires one of his clerks from the regional non-elite schools. Hiring standards range from top 10% at the TT schools to top student or two at the TTTT schools.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:54 am

I landed a circuit clerkship after interning for the judge, who over the course of many years only took one previous intern as a clerk. I had nowhere near the required credentials needed (I was approximately top 15-20% of a school ranked between 75-100 and the judge constantly received resumes from T-14's in the top 5%). I worked my ass off (without expecting a clerkship, obviously). The Judge to the clerks that I was hardworking and a good writer, so I asked to apply. I didn't even have to interview, I just submitted my papers and I was given the clerkship. I'm still shocked.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:55 am

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:37 am

I guess mine counts as a "miracle" too...

Landed a US District Court clerkship yesterday. My stats:

Top 50 law school
Top third, but I was unranked when I applied
L. Rev., but not e-board
Won a national moot court competition
Military officer before/during law school

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:42 am

Miracles do happen. I graduated just a hair below top 1/3 at one of MVP and I've gotten three clerkship interviews. Nothing's panned out so far, but it just goes to show that you can get interviews even when you're not in the top 10 (or even 25) percent.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”