Post-clerkship prospects for non-2/DC/9 COA Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Post-clerkship prospects for non-2/DC/9 COA

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:35 pm

I know it's annoying to be posting a question about job prospects for a COA clerk the day before OSCAR opens, but here it goes anyway. Is any COA clerkship a golden-ticket to biglaw in DC/NYC? Or are there certain COA clerkships in "flyover" places that won't necessarily guarantee success on the biglaw market?

Are there any COA clerks out there who had trouble getting biglaw jobs in major markets?

lolwat

Silver

Re: Post-clerkship prospects for non-2/DC/9 COA

Post by lolwat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know it's annoying to be posting a question about job prospects for a COA clerk the day before OSCAR opens, but here it goes anyway. Is any COA clerkship a golden-ticket to biglaw in DC/NYC? Or are there certain COA clerkships in "flyover" places that won't necessarily guarantee success on the biglaw market?
To my knowledge and as a extreme generality, the answer is yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're getting your first (or second, or third . . .) choice of biglaw firms in those markets. The only non-2d/9th/DC COA clerk I've sort of kept in contact with got an offer in DC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:40 pm

More than likely no problems, I am assuming if you did have a problem you could forgo the bonus in order to entice at least one biglaw employer to hire you. I would presume that the hardest market to enter is DC.... I would think there would be 0 worries of securing NYC.

lsa1

New

Post by lsa1 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:03 pm

Do others agree that DC biglaw is significantly more selective than NYC these days?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:14 pm

lsa1 wrote:Do others agree that DC biglaw is significantly more selective than NYC these days?
smaller market

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lsa1 wrote:Do others agree that DC biglaw is significantly more selective than NYC these days?
smaller market
Smaller market + along with desirable regulatory and appellate litigation work (and good litigation work in general). Unless you're comparing Wachtell or something, DC likely to be a harder nut to crack.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:47 pm

Yes. Does anybody even come close to disagreeing with this?

ClerkAdvisor

Bronze

Post by ClerkAdvisor » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know it's annoying to be posting a question about job prospects for a COA clerk the day before OSCAR opens, but here it goes anyway. Is any COA clerkship a golden-ticket to biglaw in DC/NYC? Or are there certain COA clerkships in "flyover" places that won't necessarily guarantee success on the biglaw market?

Are there any COA clerks out there who had trouble getting biglaw jobs in major markets?
1. In the real world, people generally care much more who you clerked for than where you clerked for. To the extent that anyone really cares (and its questionable that anyone cares beyond the COA clerkship itself), employers will often be more impressed by say a Gorsuch or Ebel clerkship than a random, rural 9th Circuit clerkship.

2. It's always good to come from a well-respected judge, but its often hard for law students to figure out who these judges are.

3. In general, people's job prospects are based on their qualifications coming into the clerkship. If you're #1 at a T6, you're going to have great options regardless of whether you clerk on the 8th Circuit, 9th Circuit, or CDCA (or any other court). If you're median at a T100 and didn't have an SA, then you might have problems coming out of any clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:42 pm

ClerkAdvisor wrote:3. In general, people's job prospects are based on their qualifications coming into the clerkship. If you're #1 at a T6, you're going to have great options regardless of whether you clerk on the 8th Circuit, 9th Circuit, or CDCA (or any other court). If you're median at a T100 and didn't have an SA, then you might have problems coming out of any clerkship.
There is obviously a good bit of GPA self-selection inherent in the process, but I'm not sure grades matter quite so much following a COA clerkship, particularly with a well-respected judge and a year or two of work experience preceding the clerkship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”