Plan Day + 7 Days, Thread - Update On-Plan Calls Here

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Citizen Genet

Re: Plan Day + 7 Days, Thread - Update On-Plan Calls Here

Postby Citizen Genet » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Seems pretty quiet - is it still early? I only applied to a few judges and they're typically off-plan, but wondering how others are faring.

I am guessing that the judges who strictly adhere to the plan will be contacting people early next week. Some might move as early as late this afternoon, but who knows.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:20 pm

Tharp NDIL

Got a bunch of other acceptances if people are interested.

EDIT: I guess those are for off-plan judges. Nevermind.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:39 pm

Which off-plan judges have moved?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:05 pm

Anything?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:07 pm

The other clerkship thread has had a little movement. Two judges of mine went from Available to Filled within the last hour, so I imagine they had already reviewed paper applications.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:02 pm

I got an interview with the ED Tex, which is really great since I have been set on practicing patent law since beginning law school. The only thing is, it is an unpaid position. How does one fund an unpaid clerkship?

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an interview with the ED Tex, which is really great since I have been set on practicing patent law since beginning law school. The only thing is, it is an unpaid position. How does one fund an unpaid clerkship?

Yikes, that's probably one of the few districts that would make an unpaid clerkship worth it. Some schools have public interest fellowships that they'll give to students who take unpaid positions. I don't know if a clerkship is public-interest-y enough, but it might be worth a shot. There also might be ethics concerns, but I have no idea. If not that, maybe bartend/deliver pizzas at night? Any job where you don't have to think and you make tips will probably let you work 3-4 nights a week and still scrape by financially without mentally burning out.

Congrats and good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:19 pm

nevdash wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got an interview with the ED Tex, which is really great since I have been set on practicing patent law since beginning law school. The only thing is, it is an unpaid position. How does one fund an unpaid clerkship?

Yikes, that's probably one of the few districts that would make an unpaid clerkship worth it. Some schools have public interest fellowships that they'll give to students who take unpaid positions. I don't know if a clerkship is public-interest-y enough, but it might be worth a shot. There also might be ethics concerns, but I have no idea. If not that, maybe bartend/deliver pizzas at night? Any job where you don't have to think and you make tips will probably let you work 3-4 nights a week and still scrape by financially without mentally burning out.

Congrats and good luck.

If just surviving we're all, I could probably make it. But, I will also have to start paying back student loans.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nevdash wrote:

Congrats and good luck.

If just surviving we're all, I could probably make it. But, I will also have to start paying back student loans.

Can't you cop dat IBR/PAYE?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:03 pm

bigger q should be whether an unpaid 'clerkship' like that qualifies you for the clerkship bonus

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:52 pm

Not to be a Debbie Downer here, but isn't this basically a pro-bono clerkship? You'd have to identify that you were a pro-bono clerk on your resume. I know some judges advertise those positions through OSCAR but most are done via unsolicited paper application. In my experience with one judge, the pro-bono clerk handled SSI matters mostly and didn't work every day of the week. I don't think they even attended the clerks' meeting with the judge to divide cases. They functioned as sorta like a senior associate to the interns, but churned out a much more high quality work product. Maybe E.D. Tex does it differently and these types of are more substantive, but I'd really look into it in greater detail. But congrats on getting the interview . . . that's really the toughest part.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:55 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:17 am

ajax adonis wrote:
nevdash wrote:

Congrats and good luck.

Just watch out for that pizza hut conflict of interest.

All kidding aside, congrats. I think it's a good opportunity, Anon. You said you're interested in E.D. Texas. Do you live there? Parents? Maybe you can tell them about your situation and ask for room and board and even offer to pay them back in the future. I'm sure that would cover many of your expenses.

And is it true that you HAVE to put "pro bono law clerk" on your resume?

Isn't a clerkship a clerkship a clerkship for resume labeling purposes? I've never heard of people saying you had to put pro bono. I could be wrong.

There was a big back and forth about this on the board earlier and I think the majority agreed that it was fine to just put it as a standard "clerkship" if the work you're doing is the same as the paid clerks and you okay it with the judge.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:19 am

Where I'm currently clerking is going to have a school-fellowship-funded clerk from a T14 next year, and in an e-mail they promised the judge that they would always identify the clerkship as unpaid on their resume. It was pretty clearly a school-mandated e-mail, maybe part of the conditions of the fellowship? Or at least school policy. But I've never seen the title pro bono clerkship before, when such positions have been advertised I've just seen them identified as unpaid or volunteer.

I'm not taking a position on whether you should/have to ID the clerkship as unpaid (I would, but that's just me), but I would think that as far as any employers looking at your resume will be able to tell, you did the same work/developed the same relationship with the judge as any clerk. I say this in part because - to offer a counter-anecdote - the unpaid clerk here next year is going to do exactly the same stuff as the paid clerk and will have the same chance to work with the judge as the paid clerk (I'm also amused at "meeting with the judge to divide cases" because in our chambers, the clerks handle that entirely independently unless something specific comes up that the judge wants one of us to do). But then, in this district magistrate judges handle all the SSI stuff, so there isn't the same kind of super-routine low-complexity work coming in in stacks.

So really the short version is, definitely find out what E.D. Tex expects you to do in this position. But if an employer values the experience a clerkship provides, the work itself should be good. If the employer just wants the signaling value of a clerkship, labeling it as unpaid/pro bono is probably less helpful.

(Also, as to money: if you're on IBR/PAYE and the payment is tied to your income, when your income is below a certain amount, your payment is $0. It's not forbearance; the $0/month counts as a monthly payment under all the plans - including PSLF - but it's still $0.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:51 am

Any Saturday calls?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any Saturday calls?

http://cdn0.meme.li/instances/300x300/39265358.jpg

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:11 pm

Received an interview request from a 9th circuit judge today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Pp can you share the judge?

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:35 am

Alright, the week after the date. Let's see what kind of movement there is over the next few days.

Remember, if you're uncomfortable posting specific information, I am more than willing to receive info by PM and post it on delay so it can't be linked back to you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:23 am

Citizen Genet wrote:Alright, the week after the date. Let's see what kind of movement there is over the next few days.

Remember, if you're uncomfortable posting specific information, I am more than willing to receive info by PM and post it on delay so it can't be linked back to you.

I don't know how judges are going to react to the plan and the July 4th holiday. Some/most take the entire week off. Don't know if that means the clerkship applications will follow them home or not, but it would not surprise me if things don't pick up until the week after.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:09 am

Received EDPA/DNJ call today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:05 pm

It seems like there's been a trickle of calls here and there, starting on Friday and continuing through today, but it still seems, to me at least, like the volume has been quite low. I find that pretty surprising. Anyone else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It seems like there's been a trickle of calls here and there, starting on Friday and continuing through today, but it still seems, to me at least, like the volume has been quite low. I find that pretty surprising. Anyone else?

I've noted the same thing. Other than the SDNY judges who cheated on the plan and some EDPA who did the same, doesn't seem to be a huge volume of movement. I know of some movement from CD Cal and some rural districts, but otherwise seems quiet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Received EDPA/DNJ call today.

The folks who are getting calls, could you give your approximate stats? Is it the top applicants who are getting calls, or is there another reason?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It seems like there's been a trickle of calls here and there, starting on Friday and continuing through today, but it still seems, to me at least, like the volume has been quite low. I find that pretty surprising. Anyone else?

I've noted the same thing. Other than the SDNY judges who cheated on the plan and some EDPA who did the same, doesn't seem to be a huge volume of movement. I know of some movement from CD Cal and some rural districts, but otherwise seems quiet.

SDNY/some EDNY/EDPA/DNJ (which is almost full from what I understand) can basically be lumped together as completely disregarding the plan and hiring completely off of it or not in strict conformity to it. Might be a 2nd Cir./Third Cir. issue.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”